• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mystery HH Scott Stereo Tube Integrated

Greg Nal

Audio Wizard Wannabe
Subscriber
I was doing my normal perusal of eBay offerings and came across a project Scott amp listed without a faceplate or model number, it can be found here:

BTW-I have no affiliation with seller and am not advocating the sale of this item, it was a curiosity and I was looking for help identifying it. Disclaimer required by tube forum so this was moved to Dollars and Sense.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134105708814

upload_2022-5-11_11-6-36.png

upload_2022-5-11_11-7-14.png

I went to the HHScott.com site to see if I could match it to a Scott stereo tube integrated with only 4 switches in the upper faceplate, and none of the models (including kits) are as a match for this configuration.

I need another tube amp project like a hole in the head, but this one has me curious. The number on the power transformer, 12-3-2, apparently corresponds to a Scott 222C but that one has four switches and two knobs in the upper faceplate region. The seller had no idea of the history, nor was there a model number on the chassis.

So, AK braintrust, any idea what red-headed step-child this Scott amp is? Prototype? Seller said no number on the chassis but it has 7189 outputs and a combo of 4 12AX7's, 2 7199's and a 5AR4 rectifier.

Curious in Fresno
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Did the Scott kit amps come with the sockets and caps riveted in place? Thats normally a production thing. I'd expect kits to come with screws, but I won't claim to have actually worked on any HH Scott gear, kit or otherwise to know for sure.
 
Did the Scott kit amps come with the sockets and caps riveted in place? Thats normally a production thing. I'd expect kits to come with screws, but I won't claim to have actually worked on any HH Scott gear, kit or otherwise to know for sure.

My LK72, which I rescued from the trash near where I worked at the time (1990), had the sockets, cap insulators, switches and tab strips riveted to the chassis.
I'm pretty sure they came that way from Scott, although I wasn't the original owner.
The chassis is aluminum so soldering ground connections would have been a problem.
 
Interesting. Sounds like they just boxed them off the chassis assembly line before they went down the line for wiring and such.
 
I have the original build manual and the chassis came with riveted tube sockets and ground lugs. The electrolytics had the wafers riveted to the chassis but you still had to install them and twist the tabs yourself. The back panel with speaker and input jacks is separate and screwed to the back. The speaker terminals and input jacks are easy to get to when soldering before puting it all together.
 
Never a mystery too difficult for AK. Here is the photo for an LK 48 on the HH Scott site:

upload_2022-5-11_22-43-33.png

Note the 5 switches and round bulb (not squared off). Their pic of the LK-48b shows the same 5 switch arrangment. This is what threw me off.
 
Just what I was thinking:
Ebay can be useful sometimes !

I use ebay fairly often when trying to help answer an AK'ers question about something I'm not familiar with but decide to do a "quick" search in hopes of helping.
I often use ebay's zoom feature when checking for a receivers speaker ohm ratings. Or maybe what controls it may have (like tape monitor if someone says they have low or no sound), or if it has preout/main in's, etc.
 
Back
Top Bottom