• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Mystery Speaker

Tazzarti

New Member
Hi guys,

I came to this forum to hopefully figure out the details on a mystery speaker I have. I found someone giving away a pair of 1980's advent /9's on their front lawn and decided to pick them up. When i took a look at them, one seemed to have the original 8" speaker in it, but it is destroyed as you will see in the pictures. The second seems to have a brand new speaker and it looks to be an upgrade since the driver is at least 1" larger too.

My problem is that I want to match this new speaker to replace the one that is broken, but when I pulled it out the only markings is a stamp that says WC 828( or 826) and 8 ohms. I was hoping someone might be able to figure out the speaker so I can buy a second one.

My other option is that hopefully someone could tell me a replacement speaker that is close to this mystery one that I can buy.

I am new to the whole audio equipment thing so sorry if I get terms wrong.

As you can see in the photos the large diameter is 8", and the driver diameter is 3.5"
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/Tazzarti/Mystery speaker/IMAG0138_zpsc05b05eb.jpg
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/Tazzarti/Mystery speaker/IMAG0139_zps8313f69f.jpg
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/Tazzarti/Mystery speaker/IMAG0140_zps7398d08b.jpg
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/Tazzarti/Mystery speaker/IMAG0141_zpsd04396ea.jpg

Also, when I disconnected the speaker i didn't look at which was negative and positive, is there anyway of telling? The connector has 2 wires that go into the cone and 2 male ends for the female connectors in the speaker. No color coding.

Thanks so much for any help/advice,

Tazzarti
 
Register to hide this ad
Based on your photos the original driver appears to just require a refoam. Also based on pictures alone the replacement is unlikely to sound as good in that system, it appears to be an inexpensive replacement that may be hard to match. Finding one or two original woofers is likely to give a better result.

A weak AA battery can reveal polarity, +ve makes the cone go up.

I suggest you do some searching on these speakers to find out if/how you want to put the effort into fixing them.
 
Based on your photos the original driver appears to just require a refoam. Also based on pictures alone the replacement is unlikely to sound as good in that system, it appears to be an inexpensive replacement that may be hard to match. Finding one or two original woofers is likely to give a better result.

thanks for the reply, How can you tell that the new one is unlikely to sound as good? I was under the impression that a larger driver was usually better ( is that a terrible estimate?) I do want to see if I can repair it if its cheaper then buying a new one, its just hard to find info on 80's speakers.
 
thanks for the reply, How can you tell that the new one is unlikely to sound as good? I was under the impression that a larger driver was usually better ( is that a terrible estimate?) I do want to see if I can repair it if its cheaper then buying a new one, its just hard to find info on 80's speakers.

Just guessing and assuming but the new driver looks like it may not have a smooth frequency response that extends up to the tweeter. As you say it has a fairly big magnet, it's possible it will have a better bass response in the correct cabinet. Your cabinets may or may not allow this. Putting it another way a lot of design goes into making speakers sound good, just substituting any speaker that fits (again assuming that was the case) is not likely to work well.

If OEM speakers are too expensive another replacement might be a good option but some research is required to find drivers that suit. This could be similar to repair costs but possibly not as satisfying.
 
Back
Top Bottom