• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mystery Speakers Part 2 More Pics

racfan9

Super Member
Good Evening Aker's

I originally posted about these unknown speakers last week. I bought them today for $24 I really didn't think I could go wrong because these things are very well built. The cabinets are very solid and very nice woodwork. Speakers weigh around 35-40 lbs. The speaker compliment is 12" Woofer, 6 1/2" and
4 1/2 mids and 4" tweets in the front with a 3" rear firing tweet in the back. I took more pics hoping someone might recognize these things. Speaker grills are 1" dense foam glued to a 1/4" wood backing. So take a look at the pics and see if you can solve the mystery of these speakers.

Thanks,
racfan9
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1241.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1257.jpg
    IMG_1257.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 131
Register to hide this ad
More Pics of the Mystery speakers. My original post was about a week ago on these speakers, just search racfan9 if you want to see it,

Thanks,
racfan9
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1258.jpg
    IMG_1258.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1255.jpg
    IMG_1255.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1261.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 36
I'd take a guess and say they're home built or custom built. I know here in australia back in the 70s there were dozens of small operators who bought drivers from philips, audax, magnavox etc and put them into their own cabs. Could just be a case like that.

How do they sound?
 
Mhainz, Haven't listened to them yet, just picked them up yesterday and wanted to tear into them. One of the other Aker's wanted to see a pic of the crossover, also the 4" mids need re-foamed alhtough each of the mid's and tweets are in sealed enclosures. I'll probably put them back together tonight and try them out.
I would be totally blown away if these were homemade speakers because of the craftsmanship that was put into these things. Very impressive.

racfan9
 
Last edited:
Definitely not a home brew speaker. This was either a house brand or no-name brand speaker that used a decent driver complement and an interesting cross-over approach. If the woofers and Philips tweeters work okay, these would make a great "Frankenspeaker" platform to experiment with better sounding midrange and lower treble drivers as the stock units look like the weak links in the design. Upgrading those electrolytic caps in the cross-over also wouldn't hurt.
 
Well I put them back together hooked them up to my Denon PMA-915 amp and all I can say is WOW! And this is with both 4" mids needing to be re-foam. One other issue the speaker covers for these are that dense foam about 1" is that stuff even available today, if not I'll have to come up with another idea since the originals are rotted and now good.

racfan9
 
Back
Top Bottom