• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mystery Speakers

str3ss

New Member
Hello Friends ::

My brother-in-law has this speakers in his Denver area home. There are no marks on the speaker, on the connectors, and the grilles are missing.

Does anyone recognize what they are?

 
Register to hide this ad
Whatever they are, they are worth checking out.

Looks like good quality construction and components, definitely several steps above junk.

What do you have to loose ?
 
I dunno,,,is it just me or does it look like those are'nt the original drivers ???
Tweeter cutout is a different shape than the tweeter itself,and hardware store grade wood screws were used.
And the woofers are only using half the screws to hold those in,and again hardware grade wood screws were used.

Cabinets dont look horrible though,and the Philips tweeter is a decent tweeter,I'm just not sure how original these are.

I would figure it's gonna take opening these up to get to the bottom of this here.
Pull the drivers and ID those,post some pics here of the crossovers too,may be a clue there.

:dunno:

Bret P.
 
That's a good observation Bret. I hadn't really observed the fastening hardware. I did appreciate that the drivers had probably been changed on this box. The other speaker seems to have original drivers, but has foam rot on the woofer surrounds.

I'm wondering if these were from a small or regional American manufacturing company only known to the midwest.
 
Do you have a picture of the other speaker, it may be easier to identify if we can see the original drivers.

OTOH, unless they are something "special", the time/expense of refoaming the one original woofer and finding an OEM driver compliment for the other speaker may make these less attractive.
 
FWIW (which may be very little indeed!): Reminds me of the ACI kits -- though the only one(!) that passed through here was sealed not vented -- and had very different drivers.

P1240041 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
P1240042 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

It sounded very good (again, FWIW).

index.php
 
Back
Top Bottom