• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NAD 3020A remains a champion!

Machineghost

Ghost in the machine
Pardon if it seems I talk too much about it but...

This week I removed the Rotel RA-935 BX amplifier from my system and re-installed the NAD 3020A. Wow!! What a change.

The Rotel is not a good partner for the B&W 603 speakers. It is too clinical and makes the speakers sound harsh.

The NAD 3020A is nice and smooth with a slight rosy "color" to the music.
 
Register to hide this ad
Also being a big fan of the 3020 and variants, you can talk all you want and won't bore me. I agree the slight high end roll off of the 3020 should tame those metal tweeters nicely. For years I used a 3020 or 3120 with a pair of B&W 600i in my office.

FYI here's a tip from the old days, leave the Mute button pressed in and turn the volume up to hear another type of sound from your 3020. Years ago a NAD dealer told me it removes one level of amplification and the remaining one is cleaner sounding.
 
My 3020 has been my go to amp for home audio for 25 years. I always thought it was just because I was used to it that I never felt compelled to get something else. Turns out it's because it doesn't suck.
 
FYI here's a tip from the old days, leave the Mute button pressed in and turn the volume up to hear another type of sound from your 3020. Years ago a NAD dealer told me it removes one level of amplification and the remaining one is cleaner sounding.

I have noticed that effect. The mute button does not by-pass an amplifying stage. It simply "clamps" the pre-amp's line output to the power amp with a couple of resistors. Damps some noise too... but now I ask you... "What noise?" :music:

The amp is so damn quiet. Actually I can hear my Technics SP-10's PSU transformer humming. The 3020As tranny also hums a bit but not much.

It remains a fine amplifier. If it were dressed in a heavy metal jacket with gold jewelry and bling-bongs more audiophiles would have shown interest.

I like my woman without makeup... lol!! :tresbon:
 
Back
Top Bottom