• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NAD 7140 Tuner Not Scanning

xyzizzy

New Member
Any ideas or next steps would be appreciated - this is my second amp/tuner repair and first NAD! It's now working well other than the AM/FM tuner section.

When received, there were issues with left channel output and inconsistent mono switching. This was fixed with liberal contact cleaner.

The presets would not switch - I have replaced the supercap as a precaution and to see if it would allow me to change channels.

I've checked all the fuses and they're all happy.

The phono preamp and all of the rear panel seems to be okay, though I don't have an antenna to test signal.

However the tuner does not change frequencies - pressing the up and down buttons does not change the tune for either FM or AM. I have used a MM to check whether the buttons are sending a signal, which they are... But now I'm stumped!

I think I've seen some discussion on replacing XTAL201 - C223 also looks a little bit puffy (see pics). I'm thinking about replacing these, but if anyone has further suggestions for investigation or repair I'd be really grateful.

Cheers!
 

Attachments

  • 20240219_131612.jpg
    20240219_131612.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240219_132027.jpg
    20240219_132027.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Check my thread from March 5/2023. There is lots of good info. regarding the tuner in the 7140. Hopefully what I have posted there will help you fix your tuner section.
 
Check my thread from March 5/2023. There is lots of good info. regarding the tuner in the 7140. Hopefully what I have posted there will help you fix your tuner section.
Thanks for the prompt - I'd seen your thread but hadn't made it past page 1!

The main difference I'm experiencing to you are that the tuning stage does not work for both AM and FM - there is no change on the display when I try to change frequencies.

Honestly I'm pretty chuffed to have everything else working, but the completionist in me isn't happy to leave it without trying a bit more!
 
Check my thread from March 5/2023. There is lots of good info. regarding the tuner in the 7140. Hopefully what I have posted there will help you fix your tuner section.

One last follow-up - the tips definitely helped!

For me - a closer inspection found a few transistors and a capacitor with cold / broken solder joints - after replacing these parts I had no signs of life.

Then replaced C223 and the tuner is now working acceptably.
 
Back
Top Bottom