• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nad 7240 Tuner Alignment

seabass23

New Member
I have a NAD 7240. I just resurrected the tuner from the dead.

Now I notice a very slight "misalignment" between the tuner and the display. When looking for station 100.3, I find the station at 100.35, when looking for 102.9, I find the station at 102.95. This in itself isn't a huge issue for me but the digital tuner adjust in .05 increments and when tuned to 100.35 or 102.95, it still sounds like I am still slightly off the station. It appears as though the tuner is shifted across it's entire range by 0.03-0.04.

I have a service manual for a similar NAD receiver that appears to have an identical tuner. I (like most) don't have the necessary tools to do a proper FM alignment as described in the manual.

Obviously I don't want to make matters worse by experimenting with all the tuner adjustments. Can someone point me to the proper adjustment for aligning the tuner to the display?
 
Register to hide this ad
You probably only need to adjust the discriminator zero. Probably, two test points, you would need a multimeter to adjust the transformer of 0 volts as described in the manual.
 
I don't see the word "descriminator" in the manual. I'm looking at the list of adjustments and here's what they have:
-Tuning Voltage (Oscillator)
-RF Adjustment (Tracking)
-Detector Coarse Adjustment (only needed if detector repaired)
-Detector Final Alignment
-Autosearch Level
-Stereo Decoder, MPX Filter
-Synthesizer Frequency

I do have a good quality multimeter but still not sure which adjustment I need to be making.

When the manual suggest using an FM generator, can I just tune to a known strong FM station?
 
Back
Top Bottom