• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NAD 7400 vs Hafler DH200 w/KEFQ100s

MotherSauce1

Active Member
Currently running my KEF Q100s off of a Hafler DH200 but interested in some possible options out there. Anyone familiar with the NAD 7400? Would this be a nice pair for the KEFs? Worth trying out?

Kelley
 
Register to hide this ad
Im guessing many might ask if theres anything disappointing you with your dh200 amp? If you dont already know its often felt to be a well reguarded amp. The idea kinda strikes me as a possible lateral move.

Id also ask if that dh200 has been recapped/servied in any meaningful way. It is a old amp and would no doubt benefit from getting a proper rebuild to get its full potential.

That said a 7400 wouldnt be far behind if not moreso needed. Nad is known to make good sounding gear overall. But they were built with price points in mind to a fair degree. And are often in need of some service care. Not that everything isnt to a degree. Just I would give your dh200 the upper hand in stout build.

All this said I would guess the 2 would have a different sound. They are of quite different topologies. And id guess many would prefer one over the other. An idea might be if you have a chance to in house listen to each for yourself you pick which u prefer and focus on a good rebuild if need be.

Ive come across so much gear to play with first hand but yet to get one of those nice haflers to have some fun with. Enjoy whatever u go with :)
 
Thanks PPstereo! The Hafler is in good shape. Going to recapp this summer; not disappointed in any way. Just curious what you all thought of the pairing with the NAD. I plan to eventually get some Magnapans for my Hafler to power and in the meantime am just experimenting. The KEFs are new to me so I am just trying to find good pairs to them. Thanks for your feedback.
 
I can't comment on the NAD amp, but I've been using a DH 200 with my modded MMGs & I like it. I have parts to heavy up the PS caps & Bridge rectifier and add a soft start , it should be even nicer then. I just like the mosfet sound I guess.
 
Sfox52 you ever used a Hafler100 pre? I am considering picking one of those up for the Hafler. Right now I am using the pre-amp outs on my Marantz receiver as the pre.
 
I haven't tried another pre amp with the DH200,but I've only had it a few weeks.(got it from another AKer) My Bottlehead Foreplay tube pre has sounded so nice that I haven't tried one of my SS pre's with it. I have a GAS Thalia that is from the same era as the Hafler gear, sometime I'll give it a try.
 
I forgot to mention that I replaced the input 10uf electrolytics with 2.2 uf film caps (Wima's I had on hand). Today I installed the soft start unit along with a 35 amp bridge rectifier and 27000 uf PS caps in place of the original 10000 uf. The DC offset for both channels is close to 10 mv for both channels and the bias is set to 275 ma. I still have the Foreplay tube pre feeding it. I'll give it a good listen tonight & report back.
Edit- the soft start unit didn't last long- I installed a 1 ohm thermistor in the neutral mains leg.
 
Last edited:
The NAD 7400 is a hot running amp so it won't like the KEF's relatively inefficient 86 dB rating. Stay with the Hafler. The pairing will sound better and last longer.
 
Back
Top Bottom