• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nad or Teac

Vartan

New Member
Hello All,

I'm new to stereo systems and looking to get into vinyl.
I have an oppertunity to purchase one of 2 amps and need some help with understanding which would be best.

The 1st us the NAD 3020i
The 2nd is the TEAC A-H300

I have a dual 505 turntable and will soon invest in speakers. But would like some advice on the above 2 Amps.

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
NAD still makes a better amplifier than Teac does (unless it's one of those nice 1960's or 1970's Teac amplifiers). Agree highly about E-Stat's perspective, you should choose your loudspeaker, and plan the amplifier around it's needs. That is good sound advice, you can take to the bank.
 
Beauty turntable! Agree with buying speakers first. Think about your room size too. Then you can determine if you can get by with 20 watts (NAD) or need 45 watts (TEAC). And note, there were two versions of the TEAC, mk1 and mk2. Different specs between them, including power output.
 
One thing you might consider is that the NAD has pre-out/Main in which allows you the ability to use as Power amp and or a Pre-amp. I would say it would make a good pre-amp if you eventually find a more powerful power amp

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 11.24.44 AM.png

So if you really start getting into vintage audio it'll give you a little more flexibility.

When choosing speakers be sure they are efficient as both amps you mention might not be enough to drive power hungry speakers
 
Last edited:
Thanks for advise all!
The room is a standard sized uk lounge 7m x 5m but would like the volume to carry around into the kitchen which is connected and open to the lounge. I have heard the NAD can be used as a pre amp and I like the thought of that as I could later incorporate a larger amp if its not enough. But it sounds like speakers should be first choice, so any advise on what I should look out for?
 
The room is a standard sized uk lounge 7m x 5m but would like the volume to carry around into the kitchen which is connected and open to the lounge....it sounds like speakers should be first choice, so any advise on what I should look out for?

Without knowing how much you want to spend that leaves the question open to a LOT of possible suggestions.

I would start by classifying how much you wanna spend, I would also think about how big or small a speaker you want for your current room size. It was previously mentioned that both amps you're considering are somewhat low powered so regardless of how big or small, room size etc look for some that are 8 ohms and efficient.

Where do you plan on buying speakers, local? online? I will say that speakers are subjective to ones listening preferences so if you plan on purchasing locally and you have the opportunity to do so listen/demo before you purchase.
 
Considering your original question, both are good integrated amps and each have benefits. My choice would be the NAD 3020i for the reasons mentioned above. Also should you wish to remain brand-centric, you will also be better able to add additional formats and not be limited to to a single piece of equipment.

Considering your room size, either of those amps alone will work, but 20-35 watts will soon not be enough IMO. Again, a reason to choose NAD and get one of their beefy amps when you feel you need to. In the meantime while looking for the speakers to get, the one spec you should look at is sensitivity. Most models are usually listed as dB @ 1watt @ 1meter, but some manufactures tweak how sensitivity is measure. Regardless, the higher the number, the "louder" a speaker will sound vs a lower number. From there, choose the speaker that sounds best to your ears.

Welcome to AK and the joy of the hobby.
 
If you're starting out with the NAD, might be a good idea to look at speakers with a higher efficiency rating (at least 90 db or more). Higher efficiency speakers would tend to get more out of lower wattage amps like the NAD. The “first watt” or so of amplifier power is usually the cleanest (mostly Class A in a Class A/B amp), and higher efficiency speakers would make the most out of that first watt or so at moderate listening volumes.
 
If you are in the UK I would be looking at the used market for a Creek integrated. Might cost a bit more but they were the gold standard for affordable integrated amps for many years. Should get you more power too.
 
The NAD will have a more enjoyable smoother sound if in good working order. Tey have circuit that helps prevent hard clipping if the unit is pushed to hard protecting the amp. the speakers and your ears. The amp has ample clarity though some might find the sound is more tube like than the zippy sound of an austere SS amp by a few manufacturers. Teac is known for its tape machines that perform rather well in most cases. Their reputation for building electronics is not as good. Neither have a great reputation for operating well over long periods.
 
Don`t know if it falls within your "needs & budgetary restraints" parameters, but about a year ago, I unexpectedly became the owner of a Luxman R-117 receiver. While aware of it`s reputation and following, I was not quite prepared for the overall level of performance which it delivers. From low volume nearfield listening, to near-concert levels, using any of it`s many source inputs, it delivers the goods without breaking a sweat.

I`m sure you will be compiling a list of likely candidates after finding suitable speakers, the Luxman might not be a bad choice to add to that list.
Happy hunting !
 
Wow, really surprised at the support provided here. Thanks to all advice. I came across a reasonably priced NAD 3020i so just bit the bullet and bought it. So now onto speakers . Thanks all
 
Back
Top Bottom