• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NAD1155 Recap&Upgrade&Part List

karsavuran

Active Member
Hi all,

I just want to share my recap together with the part list.
The part list should be seen as a starting point and prone to errors. I am not an expert.

I read some older topics and try to apply mentioned upgrades mentioned by @Leestereo. Thanks a lot @Leestereo

I misordered one 47uf. I should replace it in a future order.
Other than that,
I used PP or PET films for electrolytics smaller or equal to 4.7uf. 2.2ufs I used are too big for the holes on the board.
I used PP films for polyester films on the signal path/recommended to replace
I used C0G for the ceramics recommended to replace.
I used low esr Panasonics for the 4 power supply caps. Instead of 1000uf I used 2200uf
For the all other electrolytics I used bi-polar Panasonics.

If you see any errors, or some parts I forgot to replace. Please do not hesitate to comment.

Note that order quantity is more than enough for some of them.
I also need to remind one more time, some of them are too big for the board, especially 2.2uf and 1000uf. Also some of them have smaller lead space compared to the board.
Mouser #;Manufacturer;Description;Order Qty.
505-MKS0B041000F00KS;WIMA;Film Capacitors 1.0UF 10% 50V PCM 2.5;2
505-MKS0C036800FKC00;WIMA;Film Capacitors .68uF 63 Volts 10%;2
505-MKS0C034700E00MF;WIMA;Film Capacitors 0.47 uF 63 VDC 20%;1
505-MKS2C044701M00KO;WIMA;Film Capacitors 4.7 uF 63 VDC 10%;2
505-MKS2D042201N00KS;WIMA;Film Capacitors 2.2 uF 100 VDC 10%;4
505-MKP20.1/100/5;WIMA;Film Capacitors 100V .1uF 5%;10
505-MKP20.22/250/5;WIMA;Film Capacitors 250V .22uF 5%;10
80-PHE426DJ4150JR05;KEMET;Film Capacitors 100V 0.0015uF 5% LS=5mm;2
80-PHE426HJ5100JR05;KEMET;Film Capacitors 250V 0.010uF 5% LS=5mm;2
80-PHE426DJ6120JR05;KEMET;Film Capacitors 100V 0.12uF 5% LS=5mm;2
80-PHE426KJ5330JR05;KEMET;Film Capacitors 400V 0.033uF 5% LS=5mm;2
80-SMR5183J50J01L4;KEMET;Film Capacitors 50volts 0.018uF 5% LS 5mm;2
667-ECE-A1HN4R7U;Panasonic;Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 4.7UF 50V SU BI-POLAR;10
667-ECE-A1EN100U;Panasonic;Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 25VDC 10uF SU BI-POL;10
667-ECE-A1EN220XB;Panasonic;Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 25VDC 22uF SU BI-POL;3
667-ECE-A1EN470U;Panasonic;Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 47UF 25V SU BI-POLAR;11
667-ECE-A1CN221XB;Panasonic;Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 16VDC 220uf SU BI-POL;4
667-ECE-A1CN102U;Panasonic;Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 1000UF 16V SU BI-POLAR;2
667-ECE-A1EN101U;Panasonic;Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 100uF 25V;10
667-EEU-FC1H222C;Panasonic;Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 50VDC 2200uF 20% Lead Length: 4.5mm AEC-Q200;2
667-EEU-FR1H100B;Panasonic;Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 50VDC 10uF 20% L/S=5mm;2
810-FA18C0G1H10100;TDK;Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - Leaded 50V 100pF C0G 5% RAD LS:2.5mm AECQ200;10
810-FA18C0G1H47000;TDK;Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - Leaded 50V 47pF C0G 5% RAD LS:2.5mm AECQ200;10
810-FG18C0G1H102JNT0;TDK;Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - Leaded RAD 50V 1000pF C0G 5% LS:2.5mm;10
810-FG18C0G1H122JNT0;TDK;Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - Leaded RAD 50V 1200pF C0G 5% LS:2.5mm;10
810-FA18C0G1H22100;TDK;Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - Leaded 50V 220pF C0G 5% RAD LS:2.5mm AECQ200;10
810-FA18C0G1H33100;TDK;Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - Leaded 50V 330pF C0G 5% RAD LS:2.5mm AECQ200;10
80-C315C560J1G;KEMET;Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - Leaded 100V 56pF C0G 5% LS=2.54mm;10
660-MF1/4DC9312F;KOA Speer;Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 93.1K 1% 100PPM;2


IMG_3500.jpeg IMG_3501.jpeg IMG_3502.jpeg IMG_3503.jpeg IMG_3504.jpeg IMG_3505.jpeg IMG_3506.jpeg IMG_3507.jpeg IMG_3508.jpeg IMG_3509.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice work. Any thoughts on the sound performance of your 1155 following the restoration/upgrade?

A couple of comments wrt some of the replacement capacitors: the stock 0.22uF polyester film capacitors (C303, C312, C313, C353, C362, C363) have a board lead spacing of 7.5mm and the Kemet F461KM224J160A
(MKP) or SMR7.5224J100K03L (PPS) are drop-in replacements; the capacitors at C614 and C615 are for local decoupling/filtering and can be replaced with higher capacity low-ESR electrolytic types (e.g., 22uF/50V or 33uF/35V will fit the available board space).

 
Thank you @Leestereo
Actually I am not an "audiophile", I like restoring and collecting more. I also do not have good speakers now. Even in this case the difference is noticeable. It was sounding "standard" before and it is "great" now.

Thank you for your comments on the parts, these would very helpful for future projects.
Regarding the C614 and C615 suggestion, I am asking just to be sure.
Instead of 2.2uf film cap, you are suggesting low-ESR electrolytic. If this is true, I am surprised. I always thought that film is always better than electrolytic.
As far as I see, C609 and C610 are used with the same purpose, so don't you suggest same for them?
 
...Regarding the C614 and C615 suggestion, I am asking just to be sure.
Instead of 2.2uf film cap, you are suggesting low-ESR electrolytic. If this is true, I am surprised. I always thought that film is always better than electrolytic.
As far as I see, C609 and C610 are used with the same purpose, so don't you suggest same for them?

I had noticed that the C614/C615 replacements were oversized for their board location in your first picture and that prompted my comment. But you are correct that C609/C610 are also provide local decoupling/filtering; increasing these to 22uF or 33uF low-ESR is also recommended. Film capacitors do have several advantages over electrolytic types, e.g., very long life, non-existent ESR, very low DA; but electrolytic types have one characteristic that makes them ideal for decoupling/filtering duty: a very high capacitance/volume ratio.
 
I had noticed that the C614/C615 replacements were oversized for their board location in your first picture and that prompted my comment. But you are correct that C609/C610 are also provide local decoupling/filtering; increasing these to 22uF or 33uF low-ESR is also recommended. Film capacitors do have several advantages over electrolytic types, e.g., very long life, non-existent ESR, very low DA; but electrolytic types have one characteristic that makes them ideal for decoupling/filtering duty: a very high capacitance/volume ratio.
Yes those two were the hardest to fit. I understand your point now. I will replace those four when I have an order from Mouser.
I have few more question. I have very limited electronics knowledge, so forgive me if it is a silly question.
As far as I understand bi-polar electrolytic caps are generally superior to the other electrolytics. Is that true?
More specifically, let me say bi-polar electrolytics have also low ESR (I could not verify that directly from the datasheet).
So is it better to use bi-polars for these filters as well?
If not, there are two kind of Panasonics at Mouser, "Low ESR" and "Low impedance" what is the difference? Do you know which one is better?
Also, I noticed that there are some more (much more actually if I understand correctly) "filtering" capacitors, for example C501. I used bi-polar 100uf there. Is it correct both in terms of value and type?
I kept C605 and C606 at original value, 10 uf, do suggest to increase these also?
 
...As far as I understand bi-polar electrolytic caps are generally superior to the other electrolytics. Is that true?
More specifically, let me say bi-polar electrolytics have also low ESR (I could not verify that directly from the datasheet).
So is it better to use bi-polars for these filters as well?
If not, there are two kind of Panasonics at Mouser, "Low ESR" and "Low impedance" what is the difference? Do you know which one is better?
Also, I noticed that there are some more (much more actually if I understand correctly) "filtering" capacitors, for example C501. I used bi-polar 100uf there. Is it correct both in terms of value and type?
I kept C605 and C606 at original value, 10 uf, do suggest to increase these also?

For DC filtering/decoupling duty, low ESR electrolytic capacitors are recommended; the term "low ESR" is equivalent to "low impedance". For signal path/coupling duty, my preference is to use film capacitors (which are inherently non-polar/bi-polar) whenever possible, i.e., for capacitors that are ≤4.7µF. For larger values bi-polar electrolytic types can be used, e.g., Nichicon ES. This approach is largely derived from the work of Cyril Bateman who examined the impact of capacitors on sound quality: https://linearaudio.nl/cyril-batemans-capacitor-sound-articles. He tested electrolytic capacitors extensively and demonstrated that in AC coupling, bipolar electrolytic capacitors have the lowest distortion/noise of all the electrolytic types (even the presence of a polarizing voltage) and that film capacitors are generally lower distortion/noise than electrolytic capacitors of any type.
 
For DC filtering/decoupling duty, low ESR electrolytic capacitors are recommended; the term "low ESR" is equivalent to "low impedance". For signal path/coupling duty, my preference is to use film capacitors (which are inherently non-polar/bi-polar) whenever possible, i.e., for capacitors that are ≤4.7µF. For larger values bi-polar electrolytic types can be used, e.g., Nichicon ES. This approach is largely derived from the work of Cyril Bateman who examined the impact of capacitors on sound quality: https://linearaudio.nl/cyril-batemans-capacitor-sound-articles. He tested electrolytic capacitors extensively and demonstrated that in AC coupling, bipolar electrolytic capacitors have the lowest distortion/noise of all the electrolytic types (even the presence of a polarizing voltage) and that film capacitors are generally lower distortion/noise than electrolytic capacitors of any type.
Great information, I am learning thank you a lot.
I will check the schema again but as I said my electronics knowledge is very limited.
So do you remember is there any other cap for DC filtering/decoupling except C614/C615 and C609/C610?
I am repeating, believing you missed, as far as I understand C605/C606 are DC filtering/decoupling too. If so, do you have value suggestion for them?
 
...as I understand C605/C606 are DC filtering/decoupling too. If so, do you have value suggestion for them?

Yes, the capacitors at C605/C606 are filtering the output of the regulated DC circuit; the board can easily accommodate an increase to 22uF-33uF, as shown in the picture below (additional pictures of this restored/upgraded 1155 can be found here.

1155 Power supply tape out restored.jpg
 
Yes, the capacitors at C605/C606 are filtering the output of the regulated DC circuit; the board can easily accommodate an increase to 22uF-33uF, as shown in the picture below (additional pictures of this restored/upgraded 1155 can be found here.

View attachment 2805330
Thank you. I actually checked other recap threads before starting but values are generally unreadable from the photos.
I think this pic is the first one I saw where polyesters around this section is also replaced.
 
I replaced the remaining (C2XX) polyesters with films.
I replaced 2.2uf films and C605 C606 with 33uf low esr electrolytcs.
There was one 47uf which I misordered, initially. This is also done.
I replaced the remaining ceramics around the phono and tone section with C0G. I realized that I forgot C403 and C453. @Leestereo is it beneficial to replace these with C0G?

IMG_3622.jpeg IMG_3625.jpeg IMG_3626.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom