• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nakamichi BX-125 Pause Issues

moodydan

I love the punk rock.
I’ve got a BX-125 that eats tape when paused. I’ve replaced belts and the idler tire, but nothing changed. When pause is engaged, neither spindle turns, but the capstan is engaged and pulls tape along the tape path. With no place to go, it just bunches up in the well and wraps around the pinch roller. Any ideas what could be the issue?

Play, FF, RW, all work fine.

Thanks,
Dan
 
Register to hide this ad
If you took apart the transport, you likely put it together incorrectly.
The mode cam and the cam potentiometer must be mated properly.
The cam pot lets the logic board know what mode it's in.
If the capstan motor is being told to turn in Pause mode, that's my guess.

Full disclosure, I am not a tech, but have rebuilt a classic transport.
Perhaps go to Youtube and find videos on your Sankyo transport.
 
I don't know that anyone will ever have this same exact issue, but I did solve the problem. It looked as if someone had been in this deck before by the shape of the plastic wheel where the idler tire is seated; it looks like that previous person may have also replaced the pinch roller. The flange that the spring attaches to on the pinch roller arm was bent just slightly lower than it should have been - as if used to pry open the arm to remove the roller - so I returned it to it's correct position (or close enough to that position to work as it should). Now all is well.

Anyway, it's a nice deck, and great that it now works as it should!
 
I don't know that anyone will ever have this same exact issue, but I did solve the problem. It looked as if someone had been in this deck before by the shape of the plastic wheel where the idler tire is seated; it looks like that previous person may have also replaced the pinch roller. The flange that the spring attaches to on the pinch roller arm was bent just slightly lower than it should have been - as if used to pry open the arm to remove the roller - so I returned it to it's correct position (or close enough to that position to work as it should). Now all is well.

Anyway, it's a nice deck, and great that it now works as it should!

Good job. Glad you sorted it out.
 
Back
Top Bottom