• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nakamichi BX-2 or 480?

Rey1

Super Member
I just returned from a Nak graveyard at my local thrift. Seven decks! Two completely trashed 580s, Two BX-125's, and a BX-100, all a mess, A 480 that works a little (rewind and forward) and a BX 2 that seems to work some. I picked up the 480 and the BX-2 with the intent of returning one (or both) if I can't get them to work. All things being equal which is the better deck?
 
Register to hide this ad
I would have to say the 480 is the better deck. It looks better, looks like it would be built better, and it looks better.

Oh, and did I mention it looks better?! :D
 
Well,

Taking the top of them both there are some problems. Both have rewind issues. They rewind for a little and then stop. On the 480 this may be an idler problem. On the BX-2 it seems to want to work that way! Belts on both decks are spinning, but the play reel doesn't turn on the 480 when the belt assembly spins. It also is making a buzzing/whining sound. The BX-2 seems to work better, belt spins, but reel turning slowly. So if I keep one, it will probably be the BX-2. To rephrase the question, is this a good deck or just run of the mill stuff?
 
The BX-2 has come to life! The rewind started working and the play and FF seem fine. The transport was noisy at first but is near silent now. Sounds great through headphones. I cleaned everything with 99% isopropol. The 480 is toast though, it has stripped gears somewhere in the transport. I can hear them grind with a tape in it. I think the BX-2 is a keeper for $9.99! is it possible to oil and lube these things?
 
The 480 is the superior deck of the two, but the BX-2 is much simpler and easier to work on and still gets very good performance. The BX-2 probably could use a new idler tire. Replacement is pretty easy. You should also replace the belts. Fred Marrs of Marrs communications can sell you a belt kit for it, that includes the idler tire. these are made by the original factory that made them for Nak.
http://www.marrscommunications.com/
 
The 480 is full true Nakamichi deck while the BX-2 uses a sankyo based tape transport. For me it would be a no brainer, I would go with the 480, but that's just me as I have been repairing these Naks for oh so many years and have all the Nakamichi alignment jigs and test tapes. Heck I would have grabbed the damaged 580 for parts.
 
First was a BX-2, now also have 2 BX-300's. I prefer the BX300's to listen to what has been recorded, just a little better than the BX-2, BX-2 is no slouch. Just remember that tapes are becoming a limited item, stock up now.
 
Thanks for the info. I gravitated toward the 580's first, but they were a mess. If I had the skills to fix the 480 I'd keep it, but I'm not fooling myself. The BX-2 sounds great, really clear. It seems to work OK, so I'm happy with it.
 
I brought the 480 back and picked up a BX-125. Everything seems to work but the belt is slipping a bit. Is this a difficult job (I assume it would be best to do the idler as well)?
 
Everything seems to work on the 125, but it definitely requires a belt and idler tire. It slips a lot. Kenwood61, were you able to figure out the replacement from the service manual or is there an instruction sticky somewhere?
 
Thanks for the link. Looks doable. Now I need to find some info on belt replacement for these models.
 
Simple Fix: Most of the time a little piece of sandpaper can rough up the rubber on the idler sufficiently to get a good grip on the belt, provided the rubber elasticity is good and the belt is correctly sized.

I really love my two NAK-480's .. and tinkering with the other fifty decks.
 
Back
Top Bottom