• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nakamichi sp-50 repair questions

Shane R.

New Member
Hello, I have a pair of nakamichi sp-50's that I pulled out of my car with some damage to the cone and I was wondering if it would affect the speaker in any way.
The damage is in the top of the cone area it is a dent but it does not go all the way thru the material. Another question I have is on this speaker the foam surround is glued to the underside of the cone, is there any issue with gluing the new foam to the top side?
 
Register to hide this ad
The dent won't affect the sound but you can probably carefully pull it out with some tape or a vacuum cleaner. Regarding refoaming, you should stick with the rear mounted foam, since you'd be reducing the outward excursion capability by the thickness of the cone and surround; also, the foam's rest position and spider's rest positions will be different.
 
Hello, I have a pair of nakamichi sp-50's that I pulled out of my car with some damage to the cone and I was wondering if it would affect the speaker in any way.
The damage is in the top of the cone area it is a dent but it does not go all the way thru the material. Another question I have is on this speaker the foam surround is glued to the underside of the cone, is there any issue with gluing the new foam to the top side?

That ding at about 11:57?
Should not affect things enough to worry about.
 
I didn't read the OP carefully, I think the biggest concern is the crease on the right side, it could possibly pull the foam out of shape when you install it.
 
I didn't read the OP carefully, I think the biggest concern is the crease on the right side, it could possibly pull the foam out of shape when you install it.
I was concerned about this as well but It does feel as bad as it looks, I was planning on using something to hold it flat and applying a very small amount of heat to it to try to lessen the crease. I had to take the center cap off because the glue was going bad so I just slowly popped it back out and will probably also try to heat it slowly to make it less dented. My only worry with the foam on the inside is I can't get a direct replacement and the cone is lower than the outer foam ridge, which to me would mean the foam and the Spyderco would be in constant tension. Is that normal?
 
Out of random chance the go-packs by nabisco fit absolutely perfectly around the cone. Even softly locking in place. Figure this would be a great way to keep dirt out temporarily and hold the cones shape. It might fix that crease that I have too. 0111191211.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom