• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Name that RCA dog.

Copa1934

My ears are bleeding
OK, probably too long ago for many members. Actually I didn't even know the dog had a name. According to http://www.tvacres.com/adanimals_nipperrca.htm the dogs name was Nipper. Guess it fits, for a dog anyway.

If you haven't checked this site out you should. Really comical looking back on commercials and other stuff T.V.
 
Register to hide this ad
Somewhere around here is a picture I posted of me when I was a kid sitting on a sofa holding a plastic Nipper advertising statue... Nipper lived in our family for many many years.. One of us kids was always draggin him around, and we all knew his real name.
 
Perched on top of the old RCA record distribution building in
Albany NY, is a 25 foot high 4 ton version of Nipper.

albnip4.jpg


albnip5.jpg
 
I always thought his name might be victor. I seem to remember labels saying "RCA Victor" and that seems like it could have been his name, but I guess nipper is good too.
 
RCA added the Victor name in 1929 when they purchased the Victor company. The company that was making the Victrola record players among other things.

Nipper was acutally the Victor trademark, which was aquired by RCA when they bought Victor.
 
Last edited:
I always thought his name might be victor. I seem to remember labels saying "RCA Victor" and that seems like it could have been his name, but I guess nipper is good too.

From Wikipedia

Nipper was born in 1884 in Bristol, England, and died in September 1895.[1] It has been claimed in various sources that he was a Jack Russell Terrier,[2] a Fox Terrier[citation needed], a Dalmatian[citation needed], a Rat Terrier[citation needed] or an American Pit Bull Terrier[citation needed]. He was named Nipper because he tried to bite visitors in the leg.

Nipper’s original owner, Mark Henry Barraud, died in 1887, leaving his brothers Philip and Francis to care for the dog. Nipper himself died in 1895 and was buried in Kingston upon Thames in a small park surrounded by magnolia trees. As time progressed the area was built upon, a branch of Lloyds TSB now occupies the site. On the wall of the bank, just inside the entrance, a brass plaque is displayed commemorating the famous terrier that lies beneath the building.

On 10 March 2010 a small road near to the dog's resting place in Kingston-upon-Thames was named Nipper Alley in commemoration of this famous resident.

Nipper used to live with his owner in the Prince's Theatre in Bristol. There is a small model of Nipper above a doorway of a building at the junction of Park Row and Woodland Road in Bristol, opposite where the theatre stood.
[edit] Nipper becomes an advertising icon

In 1898, three years after Nipper’s death, Francis painted a picture based on a photograph of Nipper listening intently to a wind-up Edison-Bell cylinder phonograph, substituting a disc gramophone for the phonograph. On February 11, 1899, Francis filed an application for copyright of his picture “Dog Looking At and Listening to a Phonograph.”[3] Thinking the Edison-Bell Company might find it useful, he presented it to James E. Hough who, in a move that would eventually result in Edison exiting the record business altogether, promptly said, “Dogs don’t listen to phonographs.” On May 31, 1899, Francis went to the Maiden Lane offices of The Gramophone Company with the intention of borrowing a brass horn to replace the original black horn on the painting. Manager, William Barry Owen suggested that if the artist replaced the entire machine with a Berliner disc gramophone, the Company would buy the painting. A modified form of the painting became the successful trademark of Victor and HMV records, HMV music stores, and RCA. The trademark itself was registered by Berliner on July 10, 1900.[4] (See HMV for a complete history of the brands based on Nipper.)

The slogan “His Master’s Voice” along with the painting was sold to The Gramophone Company for 100 pounds sterling.[5] As Francis Barraud stated about this famous painting: “It is difficult to say how the idea came to me beyond that fact that it suddenly occurred to me that to have my dog listening to the Phonograph, with an intelligent and rather puzzled expression, and call it “His Master’s Voice” would make an excellent subject. We had a phonograph and I often noticed how puzzled he was to make out where the voice came from. It certainly was the happiest thought I ever had.”[6]
The painting, which substitutes a disc gramophone
RCA Records Nipper logo introduced in 1977
 
There used to be one of those huge Nippers sitting in a field in front of a farm/museum here in Virginia. The fellow who owned it had the most amazing collection of coin-op music machines and automated circus calliopes in existence. When the RCA building in Baltimore was slated for destruction sometime in the 60's, he bought it for 1.00 (plus shipping!) Baltimore finally got it back when the collection went to auction some years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipper
 
you beat me to it Saratoga I was about to scour my computer for my pics of that very same dog. Albiet your pics are better i'm sure. grundy side of town but very cool landmark.
 
Here I am with my Nipper.. this would probably be around 67 or so..

Wasn't I cute? I got no clue WTF happened.. .:D

attachment.php
 
Dig far enough into the history of the Victor company and you come up with the name Emile Berliner whose E. Berliner Gramophone company and record label were forerunners of Victor. I became aware of this a few weeks ago when I was given a small stash of seven 7-inch E. Berliner Gramophone 78rpm records and two Victor 7-inch 78rpm records, all dating from 1898 to 1902.

The Berliner and Victor records are single sided. The Berliner record labeling appears to be either pressed or stamped into the surface. Some are dated, and all are autographed by the performer.

The Victor records have a small (and small print) sticker on the back stipulating the records be sold for fifty cents apiece or in lots of a dozen for five dollars. Selling for any other price or removing the sticker is considered a violation of the license and will result in legal action.

There were five WWII vintage and later 10-inch 78s included in this gift - one "western flavored" and the rest big band.

Despite some "unplayable" surface appearances they are all playable, with only one or two minor skips. They have all been copied to cassette, so I won't have to play them again. I hope to get everything transferred to CD.
 
"His Master's Voice " was a huge blunder by Edison. Turned out to be one of the worlds most recognizable trademarks ever. There is a tall tale still circulating that Nipper was depressed when Master died and the photo was Nipper actually sitting on Masters coffin listening to his voice.
 
And sometimes there is a puppy with Nipper in the ads, called Chipper...

cool pics of the massive Nipper on that building...
 
Back
Top Bottom