• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

National Horizon 10 - anyone familiar? (PICS)

Redboy

a few good watts
I've had this one sitting in my garage for a while, and last night I pulled it out for a few pics. Seems like it might be a quality piece of equipment. The iron looks convincing, anyway.

Anyone familiar with the National brand and their products? I searched the interwebs and couldn't find much.

IMG_0275.jpg


IMG_0277.jpg


IMG_0282.jpg


IMG_0280.jpg


IMG_0281.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
After seeing your pictures, I thought I had some info on that unit. I have a Sams PhotoFact on the 'Horizon 20', but not the 'Horizon 10'. Tom Bavis may have the 'Horizon 10'. The Horizon 20 is found in set 270, folder 11. It utilizes two 6L6's, a 12AX7, and a 5U4GB tube. The Horizon 20 says: Manufactured in 1955, so I can only guess the Horizon 10 was somewhere in '54' '55'
 
National was known more for SW/ham type receivers, but briefly made a line of HiFi in the mid 50s... the amp and preamp were modular I believe and could be bought separately.
They didn't go over well in the market, mainly because it was saturated, and the product itself was average and didn't distinguish itself particularly. That doesn't mean it's bad, and it is certainly well worth a restoration, they are fairly uncommon. A matching tuner was also produced. Made about 1954-57, I believe.
 
National was known more for SW/ham type receivers, but briefly made a line of HiFi in the mid 50s... the amp and preamp were modular I believe and could be bought separately.
They didn't go over well in the market, mainly because it was saturated, and the product itself was average and didn't distinguish itself particularly. That doesn't mean it's bad, and it is certainly well worth a restoration, they are fairly uncommon. A matching tuner was also produced. Made about 1954-57, I believe.
Thanks for the information! This one is probably destined for restoration by my tube tech, but I'll be giving the amp to him in exchange for some resto work on a couple of stereo amps that I would rather not work on myself.

fairchild, I'm diggin' the avatar. Is that an Eames chair?
 
Not an Eames, though I did have one once - I traded it for an antique car ! It's a Eero Saarinen chair, 1 of 6 we have, very Jetsons!

Good luck with the National, nice amp!
RA in NY
 
Cool chair! I have a couple of knockoffs (one orange, the other green) made by Krueger Forest Products of Wisconsin. Mine are like this one, but have chrome legs rather than the black:

118750011_81f3874b52.jpg
 
The Saarinen aka Tulip Chair, came w or w/o arms. There were matching tables of diferent sizes too... they have a tulip (flared conical) shaped aluminum base instead of legs... mine were not made by Knoll, but were original period and material, not one of the plastic copies. I like that Danish modern chair in your foreground!

Back to National, they were made in Malden Mass, 5 mi from where my Dad grew up, and I believe they lasted into the '70s making SW receivers. The tube HiFi stuff is fairly scarce. The 20w model amp was the biggest they made, and hey never made any stereo units.
 
Yes, it was not at all the same circuit and the one developed by Gordon Gow & Frank McIntosh... btw Gordon's son works at Audio Classics right here in Binghamton. RA in NY
 
Back
Top Bottom