• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nec aua-8000e

Don Da Jewla

Fuhgetaboutit!
Hello,

I have a NEC AUA-8000E that is in nice cosmetic shape, currently does not work. I don't hear the relay click when power is turned on, can't get any audio from any source through any of the outputs. That and the VU meters are both currently stuck.

I am thinking of taking this one down to the local shop to have them take a look at\replace the relay, may be an easy fix to get this one back up and running.

My question is, I have a McIntosh C27 preamp in my stack that I used to use (ended up frying my old Yamaha with the C27), is the AUA-8000E a suitable match for the C27 or would I be better off looking at another amp and not wasting my time\money having the AUA-8000E looked at?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
I own the European version of that amp, the BASF D-6075. I'm afraid that relay is the last of your problems, as the device is there to protect your speakers from damages caused by DC current. You'll better take the amp to a qualified tech and let him check for any shorted transistor in the power stage.

P.S.: it is worth to have the NEC repaired, as it is one of the best integrateds ever produced imho. :tresbon:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=290215&highlight=6075
 
Last edited:
I own the European version of that amp, the BASF D-6075. I'm afraid that relay is the last of your problems, as the device is there to protect your speakers from damages caused by DC current. You'll better take the amp to a qualified tech and let him check for any shorted transistor in the power stage.

P.S.: it is worth to have the NEC repaired, as it is one of the best integrateds ever produced imho. :tresbon:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=290215&highlight=6075

Sounds good, I think I will have this one checked out by a technician.

Can anyone chime in on pairing the AUA-8000E with the McIntosh C27? I don't really want to exclude the C27 from the current setup but if it (the C27) is going to over power and cause issues with the AUA-8000E as it did with my old Yamaha then I don't believe it to be worth the trouble to get the AUA-8000E repaired.

Thanks
 
Can anyone chime in on pairing the AUA-8000E with the McIntosh C27?
It is difficult to tell. I can read on the net the output impedance of the C27 (1K ohm) but I don't know the input impedance of the power section in the NEC as I don't have the service manual or any other litterature. You should try and verify the optimal electrical matching of the two electronics "on the field". If you ever hear the C27 driving the audio signal into clipping try a couple of attenuators before the power amplifier input in the NEC: http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/rothwell_e.html.
 
Repair the NEC ! I've repaired an AUA-8300 last year, and I was impressed about the good quality inside! Everything is 1st class.
 
It is difficult to tell. I can read on the net the output impedance of the C27 (1K ohm) but I don't know the input impedance of the power section in the NEC as I don't have the service manual or any other litterature. You should try and verify the optimal electrical matching of the two electronics "on the field". If you ever hear the C27 driving the audio signal into clipping try a couple of attenuators before the power amplifier input in the NEC: http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/rothwell_e.html.

I have been unable to find the AUA-8000E service manual, the only thing I did find was the following for the AUA-8300E series:

http://www.hifiengine.com/database/hifi_database.php?model_type=amp&make=NEC&mdl=AUA&sort=2&ascdesc=ASC&search=search

Not sure how similar the two models are and if they share the same input impedance.

Thanks
 
Repair the NEC ! I've repaired an AUA-8300 last year, and I was impressed about the good quality inside! Everything is 1st class.

I am planning on having the AUA-8000E repaired, ended up taking it down to a local repair shop this morning but the guy was a dink (though he did say this was a very nice amplifier) and lost my business. There is one other repair shop in town here, if they are unable to repair this locally I will be shipping it out of town to have it serviced.

Thanks
 
Wow, a month later and I at least have some positive news about this amp. I ended up taking it down to another repair shop, it sat there for a couple of weeks before it could even be assessed.

Turns out there was something wrong with the transistors in the power stage, as well the relay was oxidized and they suggested it be replaced as well. The repair on this one is going to run me upwards of $290 with parts and labor. Looking at another 3 weeks to get the parts in and another week or so to repair and tune the unit.

Curious to know if this amp can be setup in a way to bypass all of the integrated functions and have it function only as a power amp?

Thanks
 
Curious to know if this amp can be setup in a way to bypass all of the integrated functions and have it function only as a power amp?

Thanks

Just remove the jumpers in the back of the unit, and hook your pre amp right in the "main in" jacks.
 
Hi.
I have a NEC amplifier aua5000e and the power supply section has been removed from the amp.
I would like to know the input voltages that`s needed as I want to repair the latter.
Did somebody have a repair manual or the electrical diagram of the NEC aua5000e.
Thanking you beforehand.
Stef
 
I own an AUA 8000e--it is perhaps one of the most "under the radar" pieces out there. A 40lb 75wpc integrated with dual power transformers???

Basically, it is just "sick" for what it will do--and I am a separates guy--this is the only integrated that I own and WILL keep.
 
I own an AUA 8000e--it is perhaps one of the most "under the radar" pieces out there. A 40lb 75wpc integrated with dual power transformers???

Basically, it is just "sick" for what it will do--and I am a separates guy--this is the only integrated that I own and WILL keep.

Yep, it's crazy how cheap they are on the used market. And it's twin - the MCS 3865 - is an even better deal. I bought yet another one a short while back, and was surprised how few people bid on it. Their loss.

Not to dangle a carrot over your head, but if you like the AUA-8000E, hunt down a NEC A-10II integrated. Quite possibly the best integrated to come out of Japan - to quote one reviewer. It knocked my AUA-8000E out of my main system. Sounds as good as a high end McIntosh set up I listened to a few months ago. It has the best phono preamp (both MM & MC) I've ever heard. PM me with your email address, and I'll send you a scan of the review from Stereo Review from June, 1985. :thmbsp:
 
Hi rod....
Many thanks for the above link, but it seems that my NEC aua5000e uses dual voltage supply. (example: ??V - 0v - ??V)
2 fuses of 4A-250V can be seen in the power supply section.
The voltage rating of the transformer will be very helpfull. Can somebody advice how to attach pictures
 
Can somebody advice how to attach pictures

When replying, go to advanced, then scroll down to "attach files" - "manage attachments", then a small window opens to allow you to select the file you want to attach. Then upload pic, and close the small window. Your picture will now be attached to your reply.
 
Well, it's 25 watts per channel, and here is a pic of the insides with the transformer. Maybe the model number on the transformer can be tracked down to find a replacement (or at least what the secondaries voltages are).

Looks like the number is 45019009. Can't read the other part of it, though.
 

Attachments

  • NEC_AUA-5000E.jpg
    NEC_AUA-5000E.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom