• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need a preamp to record vinyl in 24/96 quality...

danielguib

New Member
Hey everyone, thanks in advance for the help.

I want to get my setup to where I can record vinyl onto my computer in 24/96 quality. I was looking at getting a preamp that can support the 24/96 quality, then routing that to my UA Apollo interface and recording it into my DAW (Logic Pro X). First of all I want to know if this will work the way I'm intending. Secondly, I don't know what kind of affordable preamp will do the job. I see the Furutech ADL GT40 will do this but that $500 price tag is just too much right now, really hoping that there is a more affordable option out there. Any suggestions for a preamp that will allow me to record vinyl in 24/96 quality for less than $500? (16/48 will not be sufficient.)

This is how I want to set it up:
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit (with Orofon 2M red cartridge)--> ? Preamp ?-->Universal Audio Apollo Twin-->Logic Pro X

I am fairly new to this so please tell me if I am missing something or if there is another way to do it.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
dg: Uhm, if you want to record via your UA Thunderbolt sound interface, why don't you just use a regular phono stage, its line-level outputs connected to the line-level inputs of your Apollo Twin via RCA to T(R)S adaptor cables (like for example Cordial CFU-x-PC family (x = length in metres from 0.3 to 6))? Or in other words: You've already got a nice sound interface that supports LPCM up to 24 bit / 192 kHz (iirc), so an additional A/D conversion stage in the phono stage would appear rather superfluous, unless you'd want to use the latter independently of your Apollo Twin.

And to be honest, for an entry-level cart (or cart with entry-levl needle, to be more exact) like the 2M Red, I'd think a priceworthy Art DJPreII would already be easily good enough.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
dg: Uhm, if you want to record via your UA Thunderbolt sound interface, why don't you just use a regular phono stage, its line-level outputs connected to the line-level inputs of your Apollo Twin via RCA to T(R)S adaptor cables (like for example Cordial CFU-x-PC family (x = length in metres from 0.3 to 6))? Or in other words: You've already got a nice sound interface that supports LPCM up to 24 bit / 192 kHz (iirc), so an additional A/D conversion stage in the phono stage would appear rather superfluous, unless you'd want to use the latter independently of your Apollo Twin.

And to be honest, for an entry-level cart (or cart with entry-levl needle, to be more exact) like the 2M Red, I'd think a priceworthy Art DJPreII would already be easily good enough.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Thanks for the reply. I was confused about the relationship between the phono stage and the interface. So if I am connecting the TT to the phono stage and then to the interface via line-level I don't have to worry about the A/D conversion capabilities in the phono stage since I am not using it independently of the interface? And it sounds like you're saying I am somewhat limited by the quality of the cartridge in relation to how nice the phono stage is? I've read that a good rule of thumb is to spend on your phono stage what you spent on the cartridge.
Appreciate the help, like I said I'm new to this.
 
I`m use this sound card to record music from my records on computer with great results on any bitrate... You can to find it on internet as used with cheap price.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/creative-sound-blaster-audigy2-platinum-ex,3.html

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum eX
creative-labs-sound-blaster-audigy-2-zs-platinum-pro-177083.jpg
 
Thanks for the reply. I was confused about the relationship between the phono stage and the interface. So if I am connecting the TT to the phono stage and then to the interface via line-level I don't have to worry about the A/D conversion capabilities in the phono stage since I am not using it independently of the interface? And it sounds like you're saying I am somewhat limited by the quality of the cartridge in relation to how nice the phono stage is? I've read that a good rule of thumb is to spend on your phono stage what you spent on the cartridge.
Appreciate the help, like I said I'm new to this.

Put turntable phono RCA to your Phono preamplifier then from phono preamplifier to line input on your sound card. Sound card do the all job for A/D conversion. All what you need is to adjust input level on soundcard and push record button. After all you can to adjust recorded sound on computer and export that sound on format what you want.
 
Put turntable phono RCA to your Phono preamplifier then from phono preamplifier to line input on your sound card. Sound card do the all job for A/D conversion. All what you need is to adjust input level on soundcard and push record button. After all you can to adjust recorded sound on computer and export that sound on format what you want.
Perfect, thank you for the clarification. It all makes sense now.
 
dg: Exactly - those phono stages with A/D conversion stage and, most typically, USB output are only necessary, if one wants to directly rip from these to a computer. Basically you could also regard these as phono stages with an integrated, "unidirectional" USB sound interface that's limited to recording only.

And yes, going for a phono stage for a couple of 100 bucks imo would be a complete waste of money for a 2M Red. And I wouldn't really support the suggestion that a phono stage should cost about as much as the cartridge - that's too simple a rule to generally apply really well. I mean, just consider that the prices for carts and needles have gone up quite significantly within the last ten years, the prices for electronic components not that much (or even remained pretty constant).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Back
Top Bottom