• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need advice on a good dac and FLAC files

dka56

Active Member
I'm currently using a Marantz SA8004 as my CD player but wish to use as a dac...however doesn't convert flac files, it will only accept hi resolution files through the optical or coaxial inputs, above 96 kHz.

Not sure of toslink and its capabilities above 96kHz, but coaxial as I understand does well.

My question is if I'm going to store hi-res files on an external or internal HD, what sound card do you recommend for a pc use, or what external dac is recommended that will output resolutions above 96 kHz via coaxial digital?

Is there another desired format to convert flac files to?

I'm sure these are basic questions but I'm after optimum SQ.
 
Register to hide this ad
Good questions...

There are a LOT of DACs out there that convert 96kHz & above files from digital to analog and send them to your preamp/AVR either through balanced XLR or unbalanced RCA connections.

I would start researching the market on DACs as a separate component. I've used quite a few over the past 4 years or so and currently use a McIntosh D100 unit. I've found I really like the ESS Sabre line of DAC chipsets, which is in my D100 and also my Yulong. Here's a good, relatively easy to understand, DAC index and review site you may find helpful:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/the-darko-dac-index/

I am not sure what you plan to spend but there are some good ones out there, which aren't real expensive, from:

1. Schiit
2. Yulong - I've still got my Sabre D16 which I use in a second system.
3. Peachtree
4. Audiogd

and a whole host of others. Take a look at Darko's index linked above.

Many DACs can process PCM (WAV, flac, etc...) and some also DSD based files (even higher res than PCM). I use flac files from 16/44.1 to 24/192 and, like some folks on the forum, can hear the difference as the resolution increases.

I would not recommend using a pc sound card to pass those signals from the computer to the DAC. Rather, connect the source component (PC) to the DAC via USB, let the DAC process the sound file and send it to your system via balanced or unbalanced analog connections. This avoids the limitations of many PC sound cards when it comes to processing higher resolution files.

Just for gigglez and grinz, here's my signal path:

NAS ===CAT5===>Music Server===USB===>reclocker===USB===>DAC===balanced XLR===>pre-amp

A few other suggestions:

1. Rip your CD's to 16/44.1 flac. I use dbpoweramp CD ripper software under a license. There are free ones out there you can download but they didn't always bring over all the metadata (track name/artist/album/etc...) when ripping.
2. Consider upgrading your file repository to a dedicated HD or Network Attached Storage (NAS) for your music files. FLAC files are quite a bit larger than .mp3 files and plenty of storage is very nice to have. You can always download higher res flac from online sources and store them here as well.
3. A music server, such as a CAPS 3 unit https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...ter-audiophile-pocket-server-c-a-p-s-v3-zuma/ or digital music player (this is where the music software can be used to manage your library) is a nice touch and they aren't expensive. You can buy the components and make your own if you like and the link shows most of what that entails.
4. Digital files are basically data files. Use connections between your file repository and DAC that are built to handle data, i.e., USB. I have a wired ethernet & wireless network I use to connect to my music server with my laptop using a freeware called TeamViewer. That way I can manage the music player software, build playlists, etc...
4. Get a software program that can manage your library, develop playlists, etc... I use JRiver and there are others out there to consider.

I've sorta scratched the surface here as there are plenty of ways to skin this cat but I hope this helps.
 
I'm currently using a Marantz SA8004 as my CD player but wish to use as a dac...however doesn't convert flac files, it will only accept hi resolution files through the optical or coaxial inputs, above 96 kHz.

Not sure of toslink and its capabilities above 96kHz, but coaxial as I understand does well.

My question is if I'm going to store hi-res files on an external or internal HD, what sound card do you recommend for a pc use, or what external dac is recommended that will output resolutions above 96 kHz via coaxial digital?

Is there another desired format to convert flac files to?

I'm sure these are basic questions but I'm after optimum SQ.

The Sa8004 will accept up to 192kHz/24bit over coax and up to 96kHz over USB. If you have a computer you can use as a media player (presumably you do as you're asking about a sound card) you can just connect it directly with a USB cable to it and play flac content up to 96kHz. Above that you will either need to downsample it to 96kHz (can be done in real time) which is less than ideal but lowering the sampling frequency may not be audible or get a decent USB to SPDIF converter that can do hi-res (Schiit Eitr, Singxer F1, etc.). A PC sound card with SPIDF output can be another option but may end up more effort due to problems with drivers, etc. Also check if your motherboard has a SPDIF header, many do, in which case you might be able to just get the digital signal from there w/o additional hardware, well maybe you need to buy a connector/bracket. I'd say the best route if you want to keep your CDP is to get a USB->SPDIF converter, that is if you have a computer available.
 
I'm currently using a Marantz SA8004 as my CD player but wish to use as a dac...however doesn't convert flac files, it will only accept hi resolution files through the optical or coaxial inputs, above 96 kHz.

Not sure of toslink and its capabilities above 96kHz, but coaxial as I understand does well.

My question is if I'm going to store hi-res files on an external or internal HD, what sound card do you recommend for a pc use, or what external dac is recommended that will output resolutions above 96 kHz via coaxial digital?

Is there another desired format to convert flac files to?

I'm sure these are basic questions but I'm after optimum SQ.

The Marantz digital inputs aren't identified in the user manual (bad Marantz...), but will be S/PDIF. This is a very common, well understood, simple, serial, linear PCM data transfer format. The manual does say:

"Linear PCM signals with a sampling frequency of 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 64kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, or 192kHz can be input into this device".

It is quite likely that your existing PC sound card has a coax S/PDIF output. You should be able to connect that directly to the Marantz coax digital input with a suitable cable.

You will need something to convert the FLAC format into the linear PCM. Most music player apps will do this (and convert MP3, WMA, AAC, OGG, etc. formats you may also have). MediaMonkey and MusicBee are two popular media managers/players.

However, this is not your only choice. If you use the above media players, they both support UPnP/DLNA streaming. So, you can add a UPnP/DLNA Digital Media Renderer (DMR), and stream media to it from your PC. Since your CD Player is doing the DAC work, you only need the DMR to add the wifi streaming transport, and media file decompression to PCM. You will need a DMR that provides an S/PDIF output, of course (preferably coax, since TOSLink is generally limited to 96kSa/s).

Depending on how much you believe in the need for oxygen-free unicorn hooves, and unobtanium interconnects, you can spend as much as you want. Or you can buy a £20 DLNA DMR with optical S/PDIF output. The latter might be a way to experiment with streaming (i.e. to see if it meets your desired sound quality), before you go looking to spend a lot more money. If you're concerned about the quality of the digital decompression, I'd suggest that most of the cheap things will be using the same ffmpeg open source media library that will be used by the expensive equivalents.

The next step is to take the PC out of the loop, and store all your media on a NAS, using the PC only to manage your library. Then you can use a tablet or phone-based Digital Media Controller (DMC) app, to control the Digital Media Server (DMS) in the NAS to stream music to the DMR. No power-sucking, noisy PC needed anywhere near the listening room. Just a little, low-powered NAS, sitting quietly somewhere out of the way, connected to your wifi router.

I use BubbleUPnP as a DLNA DMC/DMR, running on Android phones, tablets and media box, accessing a DLNA media server on my NAS. I also use a cheap Win8.1 tablet, running MusicBee; this is preferable to DLNA, since it can access my NAS as a file server, keeping its own library database, and is able to run an Auto-DJ function, playing tracks at random. All of these DMCs can stream to the various DMRs I have around the house; one DMR connected to my Arcam system, one little £35 Android media box (using the Bubble DMR) connected to the TV via HDMI, thence via optical S/PDIF to an Audica AVR-1 and CS-LCR1, or to the Denon DRA-N5 streaming amp in the bedroom.
 
Last edited:
Oppo 103. Reads file shares via lan or wifi, or attached USB drive, can be streamed to, plays all but the latest DSD files, (flac, mp3...), has both analog and hdmi out, plus quite a few bluray/cd/dvd 'tricks'. Remarkable box...or step up to 105 for even better (?) DAC, etc.
Happy hunting!
 
Back
Top Bottom