• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need advise for speakers

mging63

New Member
Hi all, i own and use a pair of Electro-voice Regency loaded with SP15 8 ohms and T35. The problem is that my wife finds these boxes too big for our living room. I'm considering replacing them. I would have found a pair of Celeston A2 but I'm afraid of losing sound quality. I love the sound of my Regency. I have also a pair of Yamaha NS-670 but it doesn't compare to my Regency in sounding.Regency.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Re-finishing with darker stain, and replacing the grill fabric with black will create the optical illusion that they are smaller.

If what she sees is that critical, that might be enough difference/change to gain her satisfaction.
 
Tanks, this is a good idea but my wife demands that it be taken out of the living room. Could the Totem Hawk can replace this huge speakers?
 
What do you like about the Regency? How does the Yamaha compare? How does the Yamaha lack in comparison?

Those are the questions you need to ask yourself when you're looking for speakers.

If you like the sounds of horns, try to find some older and smaller Altec/JBL/Tannoy/EV and such.
 
The speakers do look like a fairly big footprint. And, having parted with my rather huge Wharfedales, (sigh!) , I feel your pain!


A lot DOES depend upon the actual size of the room, and your speakers just might have out-sized themselves over time.

You may have to compromise on what would be a suitable intended size would suit the room, or perhaps lose a BR and turn it into a future "listening room".


There might also be an either vint or newer Yamaha out there that can approx what you had in the way of receiver . Another co-decision with budget in mind, eh?


Q
 
I have a pair of Regency's also and your going to have a hard time getting the gorgeous soundstage that the EV's present. The only speaker that I thought that had a similar sound in a much smaller package was the pair of Klipsch Forte's that I owned which were great sounding horn speaker. I would seriously look at those they would be perfect in your size space. The Regency's are big and they sound incredible especially with tubes driving them and spinning jazz, acoustic and classical albums.

Just place a pretty throw over to make them disappear when your not using them. ;)

EV1.jpg


EV2.jpg
 
Last edited:
I did like above, I set up a separate listening room. No more arguments. Center console is almost 7 feet, speakers are 3 1/2 feet each.IMG_2676.JPG
 
Very
I have a pair of Regency's also and your going to have a hard time getting the gorgeous soundstage that the EV's present. The only speaker that I thought that had a similar sound in a much smaller package was the pair of Klipsch Forte's that I owned which were great sounding horn speaker. I would seriously look at those they would be perfect in your size space. The Regency's are big and they sound incredible especially with tubes driving them and spinning jazz, acoustic and classical albums.

Just place a pretty throw over to make them disappear when your not using them. ;)

EV1.jpg


EV2.jpg
Very beautiful your Rengency! I plane to restore them when i'll have time. There was a paire of SP12 in and i upgrade for a paire of SP15 that i found near my home. But I'm thinking of selling them to alleviate the problem. (By the way i use an amplifier Yamaha R-N602 and the match is perfect)
Sp12 vs Sp15.jpg
 
Last edited:
Very

Very beautiful your Rengency! I plane to restore them when i'll have time. There was a paire of SP12 in and i upgrade for a paire of SP15 that i found near my home. But I'm thinking of selling them to alleviate the problem. (By the way i use an amplifier Yamaha R-N602 and the match is perfect)
View attachment 3098657
Sounds like a good plan . . . I tried a lot of different amps with my EV's and they sounded great with all of them really. Be sure to post them here after you upgrade, good luck!
 
Back
Top Bottom