autorotate
New Member
I recently picked up a G-4500 in "I swear it was working fine!" condition. Opened it up and there were no obvious issues (swollen or burnt up bits) beyond bulbs and popped fuses (using random size 12 volt fuses). Replaced fuses and bulbs, cleaned all the knobs with contact cleaner and fired it up. Worked great from the right side, but the left was quiet and scratchy... kind of had a "distant" sound to it. Balance knob would take the left sound away if sent full right, but the left made the same sound regardless of speakers A or B or any other combo of switch position.
After playing with it for a couple of hours, I got a short burst of hot electrical smell, followed by a shower of sparks shooting out the back of the thing. Opened it up and found one of the transistors in back had fried and melted (see picture).
So here are my questions- first, could the transistor have been the entire issue? Meaning, could a transistor dying cause the noise issue and then just cook itself? Second, is this how a transistor usually dies? Third, when I replace a transistor, should I replace them all or just the failed one? And last, since I'll already have my soldering kit out, is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there (for instance, items that may have been responsible for the transistor short or just items that will make a difference in the long run)?
Oh, I guess one more question- where do I get replacement transistors and which ones would I get?
I appreciate the help!!
After playing with it for a couple of hours, I got a short burst of hot electrical smell, followed by a shower of sparks shooting out the back of the thing. Opened it up and found one of the transistors in back had fried and melted (see picture).
So here are my questions- first, could the transistor have been the entire issue? Meaning, could a transistor dying cause the noise issue and then just cook itself? Second, is this how a transistor usually dies? Third, when I replace a transistor, should I replace them all or just the failed one? And last, since I'll already have my soldering kit out, is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there (for instance, items that may have been responsible for the transistor short or just items that will make a difference in the long run)?
Oh, I guess one more question- where do I get replacement transistors and which ones would I get?
I appreciate the help!!