• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need Help Diagnosing Possible Damage to Klipschorn

An 8-watt tube amp cranked TO THE MOON might generate enough ultrasonic hash to do bad things to a tweeter voice coil. (see Mountain at Woodstock for the 80-watt KT88 version of this; SUNN amps were based on the Williamson hi-fi circuits (I think?)). Hopefully it's something simple like a fuse. If not, get ahold of Dave and upgrade.
Thanks DE. I hope you're right. I've been thinking I might eventually get around to contacting Dave about those tweeters. I've not because, as posted in my last message, I've been so satisfied with the speaker setup as is. No reason to fix what's not broken. But I've remained curious because so many of you have recommended that particular upgrade so wholeheartedly and I trust the advice I've received here.

I've seen Youtube videos which recommend replacing the tweeters and the mid-range drivers. By a guy who builds replacements. I didn't trust what he was selling. In large part because he was saying the speakers sounded terrible to him before he made the changes. That's fine. I respect that different people hear different things. It's just that his experience is so different than mine, why would I consider substituting his ideal drivers for what's there now? Why would I trust his assessment that Paul Klipsch and his team didn't know what they were doing?

Hopefully that Youtube video wasn't put out by Dave.
 
Hmmm...I will tell you my journey has been long but for the first 3 decades I left well enough alone. Then started snooping around and tried something different because I agreed with many that the midrange from KHorns and LaScalas was "harsh". I changed out the K400 horns for after market tracxtrix horns and never looked back. Also because of blown tweeters I mentioned in a previous post I changed tweeters also. You just don't know how much better these speakers can sound until you try.
BTW Roy Delgado says the smaller the room the larger the horn needed. My Jubilees are the "underground" first gen type not the 400lb current ones. Actively 4 way crossed over if you count subwoofers.They do not take up any more floor space than KHorns.....well maybe a little. But they don't have to be squeezed into corners. And the bass is.......just better.
 
Hmmm...I will tell you my journey has been long but for the first 3 decades I left well enough alone. Then started snooping around and tried something different because I agreed with many that the midrange from KHorns and LaScalas was "harsh". I changed out the K400 horns for after market tracxtrix horns and never looked back. Also because of blown tweeters I mentioned in a previous post I changed tweeters also. You just don't know how much better these speakers can sound until you try.
BTW Roy Delgado says the smaller the room the larger the horn needed. My Jubilees are the "underground" first gen type not the 400lb current ones. Actively 4 way crossed over if you count subwoofers.They do not take up any more floor space than KHorns.....well maybe a little. But they don't have to be squeezed into corners. And the bass is.......just better.
Interesting. I'm not familiar with the underground Jubilees. Only the ones I've seen online, which are the ones sold by Klipsch. They look absolutely amazing but way too large for my home.
 
If it is a tweeter, are replacement diaphragms not available? If the OP likes the sound, that's likely the cheapest and easiest solution . . .
 
the UG Jube was a bonafide Klipsch speaker but not marketed. It was a 2 way version of the 3 way that was sold in the cinema line. There are 100(?) pairs worldwide.
Google is your friend.
 
Hmmm...I will tell you my journey has been long but for the first 3 decades I left well enough alone. Then started snooping around and tried something different because I agreed with many that the midrange from KHorns and LaScalas was "harsh". I changed out the K400 horns for after market tracxtrix horns and never looked back. Also because of blown tweeters I mentioned in a previous post I changed tweeters also. You just don't know how much better these speakers can sound until you try.
BTW Roy Delgado says the smaller the room the larger the horn needed. My Jubilees are the "underground" first gen type not the 400lb current ones. Actively 4 way crossed over if you count subwoofers.They do not take up any more floor space than KHorns.....well maybe a little. But they don't have to be squeezed into corners. And the bass is.......just better.
Sounds like you endorse the Super MWM's for small rooms. :D
 
You also have to know how to solder them in without disintegrating the 40 AWG voice coil wire.
I have a pair sitting on a shelf for that very reason. The K-77 they were intended for are long gone. I ought to do a thorough purge now that I've got some time on my hands at home after x-mas eve surgery.
 
Isn't k-77-f same as k-77-m? Korn front is slightly diffferent abut they should be equivalents and abe to screw in.


Not sure what this is but looks like K-55-m

Anyway as first step I would ask Klipsch directly.
 
Last edited:
And large open fields too:)
Folks always say the K402 horn is too big for their room...not so.
I have seen MCM-1900's shoved into rooms people would not believe. More KP-456, KP-450 and La Scalas graced with 402's on top then people might think too.
 
Thanks DE. I hope you're right. I've been thinking I might eventually get around to contacting Dave about those tweeters. I've not because, as posted in my last message, I've been so satisfied with the speaker setup as is. No reason to fix what's not broken. But I've remained curious because so many of you have recommended that particular upgrade so wholeheartedly and I trust the advice I've received here.

I've seen Youtube videos which recommend replacing the tweeters and the mid-range drivers. By a guy who builds replacements. I didn't trust what he was selling. In large part because he was saying the speakers sounded terrible to him before he made the changes. That's fine. I respect that different people hear different things. It's just that his experience is so different than mine, why would I consider substituting his ideal drivers for what's there now? Why would I trust his assessment that Paul Klipsch and his team didn't know what they were doing?

Hopefully that Youtube video wasn't put out by Dave.
Don't think that was me as I make no mid driver recommendations for Klipsch gear. I do prefer the soldered lug K-55's if I can find them for my own use.
 
I have a pair sitting on a shelf for that very reason. The K-77 they were intended for are long gone. I ought to do a thorough purge now that I've got some time on my hands at home after x-mas eve surgery.
Hope your recovery is going well. Also hope it was nothing serious.

I'm 2 months out from surgery. Really glad to be on the other side of it, though my recovery isn't yet 100 percent. Probably 90 percent now. Could take several more months to get to 100. But the problem I went in for seems to be resolving really well. Modern medicine is miraculous in many ways.
 
Don't think that was me as I make no mid driver recommendations for Klipsch gear. I do prefer the soldered lug K-55's if I can find them for my own use.
I've been thinking about contacting you about the tweeters for a while. I've not done so because I love the speakers so much as they are. Do I want to chance messing up a good thing?
 
Got home late last night and had a chance to run the speakers today. Tried several tube amps and listened for about two hours. They sounded fine. Tried to find the sounds my wife and son reported but they weren't there. Asked them if they heard them and they did not.

The only challenge was that my wife, in my absence, had consulted ChatGPT, which told her to unplug all the cables. So getting everything back together was a bit of a pain. I told her all she had to do was make sure the amps were turned off. I have two amps hooked up to a Wiim Pro Plus with a switch for music and another amp hooked up to a preamp that has a place to plug in a Firestick. Our TV is actually a fancy old Pioneer Kuro monitor with no sound channel. So a Denon of the same vintage serves not as a surround sound receiver (F that) but as a platform for the Firestick and the preouts then go into one of my tube amps when power the speakers. She was playing that system when the Denon was unmuted with the volume all the way up.

Remember that she reported, after getting everything turned off, that she waited a bit and then powered the system back up with no sound. She heard certain sounds from the right speaker that she's described as crackling and a strange interference sound, a whirling or howling. None of which appears to be there now.

Any thoughts on what might have happened or if there's anything I should be on the lookout for?
 
Hope your recovery is going well. Also hope it was nothing serious.

I'm 2 months out from surgery. Really glad to be on the other side of it, though my recovery isn't yet 100 percent. Probably 90 percent now. Could take several more months to get to 100. But the problem I went in for seems to be resolving really well. Modern medicine is miraculous in many ways.
thanks. I had a diverticulitis flare-up in mid June. I didn't think much of it, as I've been dealing with diverticulitis since I was 25: temporarily alter diet, reduce fiber and wait it out for a few days. August 3, it flared up again, this time worse, so liquid diet, wait it out. Spent Labor Day weekend in the hospital, ct scans, another month of liquid diet, antibiotics, not working, lots of bed rest. Late OCT. C Diff infection, more antibiotics. November, no better, still more antibiotics, malnutrition, walking with a cane. Dec 18, still no improvement, admitted to hospital, IV antibiotics & nutrition. X-mas Eve: surgery. they removed 9-12" of my sigmoid colon. massive internal inflammation- they were able to hook everything up, but with an abundance of caution over the inflammation, I'm left with an Ileostomy for 2-3 months. the upshot is I'm eating food. I've lost 75 pounds, 20% of my body weight and 10-15% of my muscle mass. I've gone from chubby, but swole to looking like a potato with sticks for arms and legs. Still using a cane as a mobility aid- I'm 6'8" tall, they don't really make them for people my height, so I made my own from a piece of 250 year-old white oak 3x12" that I'd salvaged from a home in Chester County, PA; more of a Shillalah, than a cane, but that suits me just fine. I'm looking forward to getting back to work, but that's likely a couple months away.

1767870204435.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom