• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help for new cartridge for SR-838/929 TT.

I have never specifically read what mass arm the sr-838 has but have read Japanese direct tables with s or j shape arms are usually considered medium mass. The thin delicate looking straight arms are considered low mass, so I think I'm right thinking the s and j shape arms are medium mass.

I think I have had my 838 for five or six years now, time flies. It's still my favorite, great sounding and sharp looking. Carts I have used that have worked well include ortofon vms-30, adc xlm's and audio technica at440ml. If your ortofon is anything like mine you will love it.
 
Last edited:
I too also really love my SR-838. It such a quality table, great sound quality, big, heavy, super quiet operation, and never skips a beat. I've had had mine for 5 years now. I'm the second owner. I bought it off a gal that bought it new, then cassettes came out, and she parked it on a shelf in the closet. She told me she hardly used it at all because she totally got into cassettes. It's in really nice shape. Top clear plastic cover was really scratched up from being in the closet, guess not in a box...but I got almost all the scratches out with PlastX from the auto store. Stuff is pure magic - with 5 hours of rubbin out in circles!! LOL Stuff works great!

When I bought it the TT had an Ortofon FE15 (XE I think) mkII cart in it with very low milage and it just sounded really nice, very 'real', delicious to say the least. Just full of sound, till I broke the cart! UGH...$hit happens, but it was MY dumb mistake. The problem is the little "keeper-"hook snatch-tonearm lock", or whatever you call it, on top of the tonearm rest for locking the tonearm in place..it's missing and I figured I could carry the TT without tying the tonearm down, big mistake. Just have to be super careful when moving it. That's how I broke the Ortofon FE needle. I didn't tie the tonearm to the rest. Sure know I have to do that now! Someday I'll fine the replacement part used. BUT...from now on I'm STILL TYING THAT TONE ARM DOWN!! Learned my lesson.

Just glad Klaus turned me onto the 'M20FL Super' for sale. It's exactly what I really desired and needed, only it ended up being a much better cart than the FE. Same body style so I knew it would work fine on my SR-838. I'm not good at the words to describe the sound but the wife never says anything about my Sansui rig and she even said, when I used the needle for the first time: "That sounds strong!" :>) It does! And just sounds really darn fine too. Thanks again Klaus!! Perfect.

Vinylhammer: The SR-838s 'are really fine TTs, very Quality - no doubt. I'm totally satisified with mine. Sounds wonderful and functions perfect. I'm suprised more people aren't scouting them out. Guess they are 'under the radar' a little bit. It really is a very high quality great sounding direct drive TT from Japan when they really made the great ones (1980). Hope you totally enjoy yours for decades to come!! :>)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom