• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help identifying Magnavox S031 / Style S311-81 powered speaker cabinet & advice on restoring it

Hannahbanana

New Member
Hi everyone!

I'm new to vintage audio, so apologies in advance if any of my terminology is off!

I recently thrifted this speaker and from some googling I believe is a standalone Magnavox powered speaker cabinet. My hope is to get it restored and eventually use it with my record player, but I'm not really sure what I have or what's required to get there.

Here are the specs as far as I can tell:
  • Model: S031
  • Style: S311-81
  • Cabinet tag lists 150 watts
  • Tube-powered amplifier built into the cabinet
  • 15" Magnavox woofer stamped:
    • 583845
    • 232 816
  • Horn tweeter
  • Chassis is stamped 91-1
  • Front has a treble control, pilot light, "INPUT" jack, and a "REMOTE AMP" connector.
  • It powers on and the red pilot light comes on, but I haven't left it powered for more than a minute or two since I don't know its condition.
From searching around, I'm wondering if this may have originally been a powered remote speaker from a Magnavox console, but I'm not sure. I'd love to preserve as much of the original equipment as possible while getting this cabinet working as a speaker for my record collection. Appreciate any guidance!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4148.jpeg
    IMG_4148.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 9
  • C2A60C23-F4A0-4E68-8FE4-0E945B7D12E0.jpg
    C2A60C23-F4A0-4E68-8FE4-0E945B7D12E0.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 0AAF0ABB-BBBD-4D3B-B0FE-39411550127B.jpg
    0AAF0ABB-BBBD-4D3B-B0FE-39411550127B.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 98813122-2140-4555-AAEF-7D056951A6B1.jpeg
    98813122-2140-4555-AAEF-7D056951A6B1.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4130.jpeg
    IMG_4130.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4133.jpeg
    IMG_4133.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4129.jpeg
    IMG_4129.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 9
Register to hide this ad
Back
Top Bottom