• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help identifying this console

Prblack

New Member
Can anyone id this console. It is a Magnavox, supposedly from the 60's. Owner has not provided a model number. I'm looking for a tube model and really do not want to buy it if it is solid state.

I'm new to this hobby and really appreciate everyones help. Thank you.
 

Attachments

  • Console.jpg
    Console.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Turntable.jpg
    Turntable.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 84
Register to hide this ad
Well that's not what I wanted to hear! But thank you for the information. Guess I'll just have to keep looking...
 
It could be tube, BUT, it looks like one that I have where the amp/pre/tuner is all in one chassis.
 
If I can get a model number will that tell for sure? Or do I need to pop that back off the unit and look for tubes to know for sure? Thanks.
 
I had one exactly like that on CL by me too and it was SS. I think it was a transitional model between tube and SS and was switched over during the run. I would get positive ID that it is tube before i wasted my time going to look at it. Unless its like 5 minutes from you or something...
 
If I can get a model number will that tell for sure? Or do I need to pop that back off the unit and look for tubes to know for sure? Thanks.

You need to pull the back off. I have one very similar to that even down to the knobs, except that it had AM/FM too. Was very surprised when I pulled the back off in the middle of the thrift shop and saw tubes. $15, so I think I did good, Maynard.
 
Almost all Magnavox consoles with 12" Collaro changers are solid state. Most 10" Collaro-equipped consoles are tube, but there were some transitional units.

The knobs don't look like anything they used in the tube era, but they did some confusing stuff during the change-over.
 
Thanks to everyone who responded. The owner was going to get back to me with a model number and pics of the back of the unit, but he never did. And now the craigslist post has been removed - I presume he found a buyer.

I'll keep looking - one will turn up. Thanks again for your help!
 
That cabinet style apparently can't be used to determine, because that shape and color combo and grille cloths going around the corners was also used on tube models.

One way you can find out w/o moving it away from the wall (which is why most sellers don't want to bother) is to ask them to look on the control panel for SOLID STATE. Or, in this case, Astrosonic. And you can ask them if it makes sound immediately upon powering up or whether it takes half a minute. People often know these things when they have no clue about the model number or whether it has tubes or not.
 
Back
Top Bottom