• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help reading simple crossover schematic!

jeb98

Well-Known Member
I have a stupid question about how to read a schematic. I'm new at electronics, aside from wiring passive electronics in guitars from simple wiring diagrams. I'm making a crossover for my altec speakers using a schematic from JE labs blog, which is linked to below.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WIKWm9yEv7A/Uw2PIlS4XvI/AAAAAAAADdY/aOEXtN0rEdY/s1600/JELXOvers2.jpg

This is hard to word, but I am confused when there is a simple T intersection in the schematic. Do I literally solder three wires together to form the same T appearance of the intersection in the schematic? Take as an example the T intersection in the schematic where the + input, the 4uf capacitor, and the 1mH inductor meet (top left corner of schematic. Can I just have one wire go from the + input to the 4uf capacitor, then solder one side of the 1mH inductor straight to the same terminal of the 4uf capacitor?? Or vica versa, could I solder the 1mH inductor the the + input, and then have another wire go from the + input to the 4uf capacitor?

I'm so sorry if this is a stupid question, and I apologize of its hard to understand what I'm asking. But I need help, obviously...
 
Register to hide this ad
A T section where either three parts or wires are coming together is just that, a point where three things connect to each other. Just solder the cap and the inductor to the terminal and that's it. If there is not enough space to work or have both sitting right next to each other you can extend one of them with a piece of insulted wire to have it a little bit further off.
 
technically speaking I would say yes, not sure how sturdy it will be or if you will be pleased with the end result but yes. No stupid questions..
maybe mount it to a piece of hard plastic or wood?
 
The schematic shows the circuit connections for ease of illustrating the position of components. Your supposition on how to wire is correct.

You could connect/solder one lead each of the 1mH coil and the 4uF cap directly to the input terminal to form the “T” as you describe.

Connecting the 4uF cap lead directly to the terminal and running a wire from the terminal to the lead of the 1mH coil has the same effect.

Running a wire from the terminal to the lead of the 4 uF cap and another wire from the terminal to a lead of the 1mH coil is again the same.
 
Thank you so much darg, 68custom, and Davidf. That answers my question perfectly. This is not only helping with my crossover, which I can't wait to hear, but I am now on my way to understanding schematics.

Best,

Jonas
 
I'm so sorry if this is a stupid question, and I apologize of its hard to understand what I'm asking. But I need help, obviously...

Others have already answered your crossover question, but no, this isn't a stupid question. If you are asking, there are several who have the same question and may be afraid to look stupid by asking.

Good luck in your project!
 
So sorry, one more stupid question. Where the two 8ohm 10 watt resistors are shown, can I just connect them both to the input terminal (right terminal) of the potentiometer?
 
Back
Top Bottom