• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help replacing a TT Plinth (base)

EightiesGirl

Active Member
SO, I bought a Pioneer PL-540 TT off Ebay and never mind what I paid because I got screwed! The price was right IF it really was as nice in person as it looked in the pictures. That being said it's far worse! It needs a new Plinth (base) and a new strobe. After going back and forth with the seller he has agreed to refund me a large amount of my money so that I can replace the two, My question is can anyone here give me guidance and help on replacing the Plinth and strobe? Is it very hard to do? Or is there a simple way to get it done? Thanks for any and all the advice you all can give me. From a very sad lady, EightiesGirl
 
Register to hide this ad
There's a Pioneer PL-540 "turntable base" on ebay right now for less than $40. Might be your best bet.
(Not mine - i just searched on ebay for "Pioneer PL-540" and found it.)
 
There's a Pioneer PL-540 "turntable base" on ebay right now for less than $40. Might be your best bet.
(Not mine - i just searched on ebay for "Pioneer PL-540" and found it.)
Thank you. Yes, that is the only one I found and I planned on buying it today but I have never changed one and I didn't know how hard it would be to do it?
 
I've never worked on a Pioneer TT, but I've done work on quite a few others. Changing the plinth should be very straightforward. Probably need a screwdriver and maybe some sockets or nut drivers to remove some nuts and bolts. Probably don't even need to resolder any wires. Maybe someone with some actual Pioneer TT experience will chime in here.
 
I've never worked on a Pioneer TT, but I've done work on quite a few others. Changing the plinth should be very straightforward. Probably need a screwdriver and maybe some sockets or nut drivers to remove some nuts and bolts. Probably don't even need to resolder any wires. Maybe someone with some actual Pioneer TT experience will chime in here.
Thank you.
 
I did this exact thing with a PL-570 some years ago. Take your time, take pictures and notes as you go.

Mike
 
Back
Top Bottom