jake.unruh
New Member
Hi there.
I've been cleaning up wiring on a Silvertone Model 1029 tube stereo. Excellent little unit and it sounds great. The information for these units are pretty scarce, but in the schematics i've found there's one spot that's kind of given me pause for understanding and was reaching out to see if the audio hive mind could help.
To the point: There is a Silvertone 1029 and a Silvertone 2029 version. They seem to be identical save one coupling (i think) cap that comes off pin 3 of the 7199 driver tube for each channel. On the 1029 version, it goes from pin 3 around to pin 6. Not directly to ground. On the 2029 version the caps go from pin 3 directly to ground.
The only other thing to note is that the B+ feeding that tube in the "directly grounded version" is 25 volts higher off the filter capacitor, thus making the voltage off pin 3 35v instead of 30 volts in the "not directly grounded" version. That's really the only main difference I could even dream that would be cause for change...other than one of the schematics just straight up having a mistake.
I mainly want to know what the effect of the difference would be.
In my unit, the caps were grounded...but my unit is also a 1029 which that schematic is the version that isn't directly grounded. But I've also seen pictures of 2029's that go from pin 3 to pin 6, contrary to it's schematic but in accordance to the 1029.
I also found that someone before me had mismatched the output coupling caps .022uF / 0.05uF instead of both being .022uF...so I just kind of wanted to have a bit more understanding of this part before just slapping it all back together.
I've attached links to two schematics I've been looking at. I put red boxes around the section of the circuit with the cap in question, as well as the voltage differences.
1029 (not directly grounded) version - https://imgur.com/brUU0qX
2029 (direct to ground) version - https://imgur.com/LeNHuro
I totally can put this unit back together the way it was and it will work "just fine" meaning it seems fine. I'm just seeking to grow my understanding of uses of these caps in the circuit and figured it's a great example to understand a little more. Maybe even find a mistake in my unit as well!
Thanks for the help in advance!
I've been cleaning up wiring on a Silvertone Model 1029 tube stereo. Excellent little unit and it sounds great. The information for these units are pretty scarce, but in the schematics i've found there's one spot that's kind of given me pause for understanding and was reaching out to see if the audio hive mind could help.
To the point: There is a Silvertone 1029 and a Silvertone 2029 version. They seem to be identical save one coupling (i think) cap that comes off pin 3 of the 7199 driver tube for each channel. On the 1029 version, it goes from pin 3 around to pin 6. Not directly to ground. On the 2029 version the caps go from pin 3 directly to ground.
The only other thing to note is that the B+ feeding that tube in the "directly grounded version" is 25 volts higher off the filter capacitor, thus making the voltage off pin 3 35v instead of 30 volts in the "not directly grounded" version. That's really the only main difference I could even dream that would be cause for change...other than one of the schematics just straight up having a mistake.
I mainly want to know what the effect of the difference would be.
In my unit, the caps were grounded...but my unit is also a 1029 which that schematic is the version that isn't directly grounded. But I've also seen pictures of 2029's that go from pin 3 to pin 6, contrary to it's schematic but in accordance to the 1029.
I also found that someone before me had mismatched the output coupling caps .022uF / 0.05uF instead of both being .022uF...so I just kind of wanted to have a bit more understanding of this part before just slapping it all back together.
I've attached links to two schematics I've been looking at. I put red boxes around the section of the circuit with the cap in question, as well as the voltage differences.
1029 (not directly grounded) version - https://imgur.com/brUU0qX
2029 (direct to ground) version - https://imgur.com/LeNHuro
I totally can put this unit back together the way it was and it will work "just fine" meaning it seems fine. I'm just seeking to grow my understanding of uses of these caps in the circuit and figured it's a great example to understand a little more. Maybe even find a mistake in my unit as well!
Thanks for the help in advance!