• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help with a NAD 7150

dark_firefly

New Member
Hello,

These parts,circled in red, are broken on a (new to me) NAD 7150's tuner circuit
Not sure what the name of the component is, but it's a coil with an adjustable graphite-like core.

Either I'm blind or it's not listed in the service manual I found online. Was wondering if it is still possible to get replacements?

Thank you in advance!
 

Attachments

  • NAD.jpg
    NAD.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 39
Register to hide this ad
So i'm assuming the other 4 have the cores in them? What will need to happen is donor cores from a parts tuner will have to be inserted into the holes and the unit will need some aligning. Where are you in Ontario?
 
Only 2 of them have cores left in them.
Judging from your response, I'm guessing that these things are no longer being manufactured.
Would I be able to substitute it with a modern component?
As for whereabouts I'm in Toronto.
Thanks!
 
So you are missing 4 cores. In the past I've replaced broken ones with spares I have at home. I've literally bought entire tuner boards just for the cores themselves. It's kind of a specialty thing, if you know what to do and how to align it can be fixed. The alternative is to buy a spare board if one shows up on ebay but knowing how to fix it i'd just replace the cores.
 
So you are missing 4 cores. In the past I've replaced broken ones with spares I have at home. I've literally bought entire tuner boards just for the cores themselves. It's kind of a specialty thing, if you know what to do and how to align it can be fixed. The alternative is to buy a spare board if one shows up on ebay but knowing how to fix it i'd just replace the cores.

I see, looks like I'll be keeping an eye out for boards to cannibalize then.
Thank you for your quick replies and help!
 
Ok, so let me start off by saying how cool it is to be able to ask ppl for help on things you love. Just got on here not to long ago and already finding out that most everyone is legit about helping, the new kid. Brand new into audiophile. So another request. I recently came into possession of Nad 7150, Nad 6050c, and Nad turntable ( I’ll post model number later) got all three for 100 bucks. Super excited, so excited in fact that bought em without testing. They all cut on, but sad face,.. they are gonna need some tlc. No one in my area repairs vintage receivers.

now, I also have like 11 tube radios from various times and have taken on the mantle of soldering and changing out tubes and capacitors. I want to fix these Nad because , why not right? I believe I can and if they can’t be fixed well at least I can sell for parts. I’ve looked everywhere for 7150 schematic but unable to find anything it 7140, does anyone have any input on my repairs? I can send pictures of insides if that helps? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Anyways tell me if I’m nuts or if there is no fix or if I just blew 100 on Nads, for no reason. The 7150 is gonna get a really nice cleaning with deoxit. Also gonna get the other with deoxit too. The selector knob won’t select. It just stays on the tuner. Tuner won’t tune or if it does I can’t hear it because it seems like aux/phono/tape/ dont work either. I can ther sound period from any speakers. And The tape deck buttons are very stiff, deoxit should(I’m hoping ) get them back to normal, but tape won’t spin, hoping it’s just the belt. Thanks!!!!!!
 
Hello,

These parts,circled in red, are broken on a (new to me) NAD 7150's tuner circuit
Not sure what the name of the component is, but it's a coil with an adjustable graphite-like core.

Either I'm blind or it's not listed in the service manual I found online. Was wondering if it is still possible to get replacements?

Thank you in advance!
We’re you ever able to find schematic for 7150? Or an equivalent component?
 
Ok, so let me start off by saying how cool it is to be able to ask ppl for help on things you love. Just got on here not to long ago and already finding out that most everyone is legit about helping, the new kid. Brand new into audiophile. So another request. I recently came into possession of Nad 7150, Nad 6050c, and Nad turntable ( I’ll post model number later) got all three for 100 bucks. Super excited, so excited in fact that bought em without testing. They all cut on, but sad face,.. they are gonna need some tlc. No one in my area repairs vintage receivers.

now, I also have like 11 tube radios from various times and have taken on the mantle of soldering and changing out tubes and capacitors. I want to fix these Nad because , why not right? I believe I can and if they can’t be fixed well at least I can sell for parts. I’ve looked everywhere for 7150 schematic but unable to find anything it 7140, does anyone have any input on my repairs? I can send pictures of insides if that helps? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Anyways tell me if I’m nuts or if there is no fix or if I just blew 100 on Nads, for no reason. The 7150 is gonna get a really nice cleaning with deoxit. Also gonna get the other with deoxit too. The selector knob won’t select. It just stays on the tuner. Tuner won’t tune or if it does I can’t hear it because it seems like aux/phono/tape/ dont work either. I can ther sound period from any speakers. And The tape deck buttons are very stiff, deoxit should(I’m hoping ) get them back to normal, but tape won’t spin, hoping it’s just the belt. Thanks!!!!!!

I have a 3 of the 7150's now, and only one is fully working, but all have their uses. All could use a refresh, though.

I went through each and did a test of them as a pre-amp, as a amp only, and also tested both A and B speakers for them. In one of them, the pre-amp isn't working, but the amp works great. In another the A speakers aren't working, but the B speakers are fine. In the third, everything works as expected thankfully.

I've used 2 for a vertical, passive, bi-amp test, but haven't used them in bridged/mono mode (no hard to drive 8 ohm speaker sets around for me).

All 3 run pretty hot all the time (3 transformers?) but all 3 sound really good. Definitely worth getting yours fixed up, IMO

I found this place as well for the service manual on the 2150/3150/7150

sorry ignore the link I put in first and use this one. As Audiomaniac2 said, they have it here:

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/nad/7150.shtml
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom