• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help with a stupid Windows problem.

BruceRPA

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
:gigglemad Sometimes the simplest things are the most annoying. This is one of them. Somehow I managed to get the window for Explorer, Outlook and a few other programs to open in a smaller than full screen window. I'll be dam#ed if I can figure out how to get them to open in full screen again. I use Windows XP. In previous OS versions it was simple and not too difficult to reset the way that a program opens. Where did that setting go in XP? :dunno: Did they move it to someplace new and special or just change the way that it is done just to be mischievous? Whatever it is, I can't find it. :gigglemad
 
Register to hide this ad
Those programs remember how the program was last closed. So first open up one window for Explorer and hit the middle button on the upper right hand of the window. This should maximize it. Now if you close the program, it should remember that it was last used in full screen. Should work with all windowed applications.

dew

dew.
 
I'm with Ultra -hog. Same annoying deal. Never looked into it, but Dew042's solution has no effect. All windows open small? I know I didn't always have this problem. Just started in the last few months.
 
Stole this from here: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1036236055

On Monday, July 15, 2002 at 8:09 am, Darrell wrote:

>Something similar happen to me after installing a program. I found this on Microsoft's
>news help site. It worked for me, but I can't guarantee it:
>
>Subject: Re: Window sizes and settings do not stay
>From: dev@null.invalid
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>
>Sergio wrote:
>I re-sized My Documents to a size that I like. The setting stays for a few days
or
>less, and then it goes back to being big, maybe 800 x 600. This happens to My Network
>Places, Recycle Bin, etc. Plus, if I change the view settings in My Music, which
>is inside My Documents, to Details and then I delete some tabs so that it only shows
>Size, Duration, and Bitrate, those settings get forgotten in a few days as well.
>I am running XP Pro and everything works awesome except this, which is really bothering
>me. I am wondering if anyone is experiencing this problem? I tried the Folder Options
>settings and have all the folders have the same setting option, but to no avail.
>
>
>You can try this….. (open regedit in a run command)
>
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]
>
>Delete those registry keys and restart windows.
>
>Be sure that you understand how to restore Windows, in the unlikely case that the
>registry becomes corrupt.
>
>
 
OK, it's fixed. The key is when maximizing the view of your small window, DO NOT use the maximize button. Just stretch the window in both directions, and close it. Now it will "remember" the max size.

"Hi,
Open a webpage. Stretch it out to fullsize. Don't use maximize.
Choose any link on that webpage and right-click> open in a new window.
Stretch that second window out to the desired size- don't use maximize.
Close the first IE window. Then close that second resized window"

Apparently a common problem in IE7, and now that I think about it, the IE7 update is when the problem started.
 
Just a nice short cut i use, instead of using that small little middle button, "maximize/restore down", just double click anywhere on the blue title bar at the top of most any window. Much easier.

Also a nice one I use, especially at work :), to minimize all windows in one shot, press the "windows" key (if you have one), and the "m" key. Boom, privacy restored. :D
 
Well, I think that I tried everything posted and nothing changed. Then I tried following the tip of maximising the window and then simply holding down the <shift> key while clicking on the <X> in the upper right corner. Success at last!:banana: I could have sworn that I tried that one in the past too.:dunno:

Hidden deep within the bowels of Microsoft is the mysterious and elusive answer to even the simplest of tasks -- but, you must possess the Magic Golden Key to unlock the secrets. No two are alike so you have to solve the puzzle following the myriad of clues and hints from fellow frustrated Windows Travelers (not to be confused with a Windows Explorer, however). Once you have solved your particular puzzle, be prepared! There are more riddles waiting for you just around the corner. Beware the ides of -- the next patch or upgrade when anything can, and often does happen! 'Till then fellow Travelers, thank you! Enjoy your journey through Windows while you can!
 
Don't forget: on any application's shortcut, right-click and select Properties, then choose "Maximized" in the "Run" window's dropdown box. Click OK and you're done with that app.
Tom
 
Don't forget: on any application's shortcut, right-click and select Properties, then choose "Maximized" in the "Run" window's dropdown box. Click OK and you're done with that app.
Tom
I looked for the box marked "Maximized" in the properties tab of the shortcuts that I have on my desktop and that box does not exist. That is why I was confused. Where did it go? Now, thanks to your post, I looked in the "All Programs" drop-down box from the start menu and, what do you know, there she be! I now recognize that the shortcuts on my desktop are just shortcuts to the shortcut in the Programs menu where the real "Properties" of each program reside. Duh!:headscrat I knew that it had to be something simple that I was overlooking.:stupid:

Once again, thank you OvenMaster and thank you all. I knew that I could count on AK members to bail me out.:thmbsp:
 
OK, here's another maddening Windows thing that I can't seem to figure out. How the he## can you permanently turn off "Auto Format" in MS Word? :gigglemad That feature drives me nuts! If I want to indent after hitting the return key I will do it myself. I hate having to work around Auto-Format. I have looked everywhere in the options menus but I can't seem to get it to go away permanently. I can disable it for an individual document that I am working on, sometimes. Then it seems to rear it's ugly head unexpectedly again later on in the same document. In earlier versions of MS Word than the one that I am using now (Office 2003 Professional - SP2), I was able to turn that feature off and it would stay off. Not now though! Oh no, I don't have the Magic Golden Key for this one yet.:gigglemad

Once again, it is probably something simple that I am overlooking but it ain't where it used to be! I think the Gates gang is up to their ol' tricks ag'in jes' to spite me!:para:
 
Back
Top Bottom