• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

need help with Carver Amp.

rjag46

Super Member
I will upload some pics, and asking if someone can tell me what this is and what it does. This is a Carver TFM-15CB Amp 100 wpc. I have it circled.
not sure if it,s for protection mode?? When i pwr. the amp up within about 2 sec. I,m hearing it click, then nothing at all, no sound, no view meter lights, no nothing. This is my 1,st Carver and i know little or nothing about them. Appreciate any help.:scratch2::scratch2:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Part is called a relay.

A protection relay to be exact.

A "normal" switch uses your fingers to turn on\off the current (a light switch comes to mind).

A relay is a special switch that uses current through a coil of wire to open\close a switch (look Ma, no hands!) :banana:

When you power up an amplifier that has this, (commonly called a protection relay) the switch that connects your speakers to the amplifier is not closed (connected) until the amplifier output has stabilized with no spikes, noise, direct current etc.

Without the relay, some amplifiers would make a loud pop or thump through the speakers when it was turned on, also if something shorted out, the relay would open to protect the speakers from damage (not always the case).:sigh:

Your relay may be operating properly, but there may be another reason you are not hearing any sound or having any meter activity (do you have a source and speakers connected to it?)

Best I can do for now.:scratch2:

Mark T.:music:
 
meter click is a good thing. First eliminate the obvious. The lamps on the meters are a separate issue. The obvious part to eliminate is the level controls on the front. Less obvious would be the mono/stereo switch. Speaker connections are also a not likely possibility, as the meters are after the relay but before the speaker switch, so should indicate signal, unless the meters are dead (it is a possibility) Try working the controls, work the switches, but with the power off. Generally not a good idea to switch bridging switches with the power on. Good luck..
 
Carver

I will upload some pics, and asking if someone can tell me what this is and what it does. This is a Carver TFM-15CB Amp 100 wpc. I have it circled.
not sure if it,s for protection mode?? When i pwr. the amp up within about 2 sec. I,m hearing it click, then nothing at all, no sound, no view meter lights, no nothing. This is my 1,st Carver and i know little or nothing about them. Appreciate any help.:scratch2::scratch2:

Thank,s Markin, Well I finally got her working, lights and all.:banana: But still one problem, Right wiew meter needle will only go up 1/4 of the way then freezes???? Really like the amp, but I,m one of those guys that,s always looking for a bit more treble so I will hook up an EQ. to it. Really like to get that right view meter though. Oh ya, the right side volume works fine, it,s just the meter.
 
Back
Top Bottom