• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help with possible trade

Karma To Burn

New Member
Hi everyone. This is my first post here and I would really appreciate some help with a trade that I may make.

I have a large record collection and nothing to play them with. My father has an old component system that he no longer uses with a turntable. So….. I think I might want to give him my system (I think that I paid about 450 CDN earlier this year for it) in a trade for his.

The components of the other system (all parts about 30 years old):
- Akai AM-2850 integrated amplifier
- Akai AT-2450 tuner
- Akai GXC-709D tape deck
- Akai AP-206 turntable

All of the parts are in working order if a bit dusty. I can’t seem to find any information on these components online so I have no idea of their quality, and I can’t really test them out as both of the speakers that they are connected to are blown.

The reason I don’t know if I should make the trade is that I would need to buy a new set of speakers (which I will ask about in the speaker forum) and I will need to add a CD player, and why bother if it’s a crappy system?

Any info on the components or if you think I should or should not make the trade would be great….. thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
The integrated amp is 80 wpc from 1979-80. Haven't heard it. The Akai cassette decks were considered quite good.
Whether it is worth your current system, probably not. Not that the system is bad or anything, just old and not one of the 'major' brands. Check ebay's completed auctions for the individual units. I would suspect it would sound better than your new stuff with some good speakers.
 
Just my $.02 here. If you have a system which you like, one with speakers, and, I presume, a CDP, all you really need is a turntable, right? You could post for a TT on the classifieds. MANY members have several TTs and there is probably one that would suit your taste and budget. Or, there is always eBay. For that matter, maybe you could arrange to buy DD's TT, since the system he has is not in use, and has no speakers, anyway.

Having said that, given that your father is the intended recipient of your current system, I acknowledge that there might be other influences here. The only way to tell if YOU like the Akai system is to listen to it, maybe on your current speakers, for now. If your ears are happy, yours is the only opinion which matters.

If you are looking to trade the Akai down the road, an eBay completed items search can give you an idea of the price level for similar gear. As well, several AK members have extensive databases at their disposal, and may well chime in, later, when more people are online.

Good luck to you in your quest for audio nirvana
 
Thanks for the reply guys

Bully .... What does 80 wpc mean? I don't know much about this stuff.

I tried hooking up a TT to my current mini system and it just sounded like ass. I was thinking of getting an integrated amp, a TT and a good set of speakers but that would probably set me back just as much as making this trade and getting a cd player and speakers.

I just found out that the system was purchase in 1975 from Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto for 1200 CDN on sale (with a stand).
 
Here are some Orion Figures, take them for what they are worth...

AKAI
INT, AM-2850
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1979 - 1980
Additional Information:
Power: 80
Retail
MSRP: $475.00

AKAI
TUNER, AT-2450
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1979 - 1980
Retail
MSRP: $325.00

AKAI
CASS, GXC-709D
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1977 - 1979
Retail
MSRP: $375.00

AKAI
TBL, AP-206
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1979 - 1980
Retail
MSRP: $160.00

As far as Akai's quality, I have a few stray pieces of gear from them and have been pleasantly surprised, nicely built, sound decent. I have an Akai AM-U3 integrated from around 1980, sounds nice, nicely built, quite powerful for its rated wattage. Not bad for $6 thanks to the Salvation Army. I also have an Akai CD-A7 CD player which was the first of something, I think it had dual 16 bit DA converters or something. Again, very good build, only thing it does not like are overburned CDRs but we are talking 1985 here, this is not modern technology. I have a RTR too but other than test it I never did anything extensive, but it seems to be a good piece of equipment. Just because Akai is not as mainstream as some of the other brands does not mean they should be ruled out. Some of the best built gear has come under the oddest lables. Just check out the MCS 3125, Fisher RS-1060/80, and Project One Mark 1500...
 
As far as the 80wpc, thats 80 watts per channel, not bad for an integrated, probably easily better than today's overrated junk. As far as the TT sounding like crap on your minisystem, first its a minisystem, most don't sound too hot to begin with, probably could use a new needle or cartridge by this point in the game, something I would investigate. Putting a new cartridge/needle on old TT can do wonders.
 
Thanks again for the info.. My parents must be confused about when the baught it but all this info is awesome. I purchased the minisystem because it was able to play mp3 cds :rolleyes: but it doens't sound very good when cranked.

I just have to fugure out where I'm going to put all of this stuff in my room . It's already packed with music gear.

Everything.jpg


and that's just some of it (add 4 more guitars 3 more amps a piano and a large pedalboard) :guitar:
 
I picked up an Akai receiver awhile back and I was also pleasantly surprised with it's sound quality. It is a very clean and neutral sounding receiver, although I think the tuner section leaves a little to be desired. The amp section though is fairly well built. The Akai tuner may turn out to be a good one, not much info around on those.
 
The likely reason the TT sounded bad with the mini system is that most if not all mini systems lack a phono preamp. The mini systems out now that do have turntables use ceramic cartridges, which put out a line-level signal. I wouldn't put any record I valued on one of those turntables, as ceramic cartridges track heavily and mistrack the high frequencies, destroying records in short order.

Trade that mini system for those Akai components post haste...a mini system that can compete with them does not exist.

TP
 
That MSRP of that tuner is pretty expensive if you think about it. Wonder what sort of specs it has. No Akai tuner for me as of yet, but considering what I have so far you never know what might show up. With a tuner I would have a complete Akai rig, what to do with it is another question entirely.
 
trade.

First component I ever bought with my lawn mowing money was an Akai AM-2400 integrated amp (40 watts RMS per channel) - believe it was about $180 via mail order from Stereo Discounters in 1977 or 78. Really loved that little amp, enough that after it was stolen, one of my first vintage purchases was a replacement (er, actually two now, but nevermind that).

Now have the matching AT-2400 tuners as well.

I'm quite the fan of Akai gear, and think very highly of this kinda off the beaten path brand. BTW, if I'm not mistaken, back in the early 70s they were the first folks to go to an all silver front panel...just thought I'd pass that along.

The xx50 series of their separate components followed what I have now, probably around 1979 or 1980. The AM-2850 would have been their top of the line integrated amp, so there's a keeper for sure. The 2450 tuner isn't top of the line (actually, kinda bottom), but Akai I believe was pretty good bottom to top there - I know my 2400s seem well, maybe even over-, built.

Cassette decks and R2Rs were Akai's real claim to fame - they were considered leaders in those lines back in the 70s and early 80s.

I have the service manuals for the 2850 and 2450, let me know if you need any info....

BTW, a hearty welcome - glad to have you here at AK!
 
If you want to play your mp3's why not get a cheap dvd player,then you could play your mp3's,and your cd's.The Apex I bought at Wally World for 38 bucks does the trick nicely,if youre trying to stay inexpensive.
Jimmy
 
Everybody... thanks for all the info. You all rock. I guess I will make the trade.

The mini system didn't have a phono, I plugged in an old Lloyd's TT that I had sitting in my closet into the aux. I really don't know what I'm doing so I wasn't suprised that it sounded like crap.
 
Back
Top Bottom