• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help with Thorens TD160 RCA replacement.

Reliving.

Active Member
Hello everyone! Matts son here David,

I would like to upgrade my Thorens TD160 RCA leads with better ones.

What leads would you recommend to me?

And what lead would best to fit the TD160? and how would I do it?

As you can see I currently have the original grey looking ones on it.
upload_2021-1-18_17-49-14.png

Any help would be very appreciated. :)

upload_2021-1-18_17-49-49.png
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Those old gray, boring looking leads are rumored to be made by Ortofon and are actually very high quality. Unless you have a specific problem with them - just don't. If you really insist - mount on deck RCA sockets that will later let you plug in any phono cable of your choice.
 
Those old gray, boring looking leads are rumored to be made by Ortofon and are actually very high quality. Unless you have a specific problem with them - just don't. If you really insist - mount on deck RCA sockets that will later let you plug in any phono cable of your choice.
Would that be complex to do?

Have you got any images showing how they are wired?
 
Put thorens td-160 tonearm wiring into the google and search images and see what you should have underneath.

There isn't really a best fit cable for a tt.

As stated the originals are pretty good and replacing them might be lower performance.

You can install the RCA jacks as stated and there are some pics of that on the web.

What do you consider complex? It isn't hard but need to put holes in the wood base to mount the jacks and wire the jacks to the tonearm wiring and install a connection for the ground wire and connect it internally, too.

Why do you want to do this?
 
Well sometimes I have this problem where I have to take the RCA leads out of the receiver and plug them back in as sometimes one of the speaker channels don't work until i do it.

Would it be the leads or something else? @Blue Shadow
 
If you do decide to add RCA jacks on the plinth, pay close attention to the height of them if you plan to continue to use the hinged dustcover. When in the upright position that cover goes well down the back and will interfere with them.
 
That seems to indicate a wire failure at the RCA plug. This is usually diagnosed by being able to get the channel to come back by moving the wiring at the plug a bit whilst it is connected. Not as common is a failed solder joint on the RCA jack in the amp, again based on what you said. This might be narrowed down by moving the plug a bit while still connected. I'm guessing the wire at the plug is tired.

Check the wiring and if it is the problem, install new RCA plugs on the Thorens wires. Shorten the wires a couple inches to removed the part that has worked the hardest for 30 years.
 
I replaced the ends on mine, had the same problem with bad connections at the ends. The stock connectors are nowhere near amazing, but the wires are actually OK. Switchcraft 3502a worked really nicely, used white and red heat shrink tubing to color code the leads.
 
I replaced the intermittent ones on my TD-160 with a salvaged pair from a component video cable I had. I believe in general these are lower capacitance than many audio cables. They've worked well.
 
Back
Top Bottom