• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help with turntable setup

JakeMD

New Member
Recently I was handed down a Toshiba Direct Drive Automatic Return Model SR-A200 turntable and am interested in restoring it to working condition. I am not pretending to know much about turntables or the community but decided to try here for some advice. The stylus is an ATN 771E Realistic though I am not sure on the cartridge or even if that's the name of the stylus. My general confusion with using a turntable comes from the different parts needed to produce sound. If anyone could help me pick an amp, preamp, speakers, etc. or give me advice on what to look for that would be awesome. I've included pictures of the turntable for reference and also a pic of the cables as one of the ends is frayed. I'm not sure if it can work with just the red and yellow connectors or if the other was needed. If more clarification is needed let me know. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 20160617_113455.jpg
    20160617_113455.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20160617_113515.jpg
    20160617_113515.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20160617_113533.jpg
    20160617_113533.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 53
  • 20160618_145532.jpg
    20160618_145532.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 53
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

The wire with the frayed is just the ground wire, not to worry .

What is your approximate budget for the new amp, speaker (each)? :idea:
 
Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

The wire with the frayed is just the ground wire, not to worry .

What is your approximate budget for the new amp, speaker (each)? :idea:

Thank you for the reply
I honestly don't know enough about the components to get an exact picture, but from what I've seen under 200 would be good. I would probably spend more on the speakers. For now the cheaper the better, I'm a college student and can't afford to spend too much at one time. I'd more than likely upgrade with time. I also forgot to mention that the stylus and cartridge may need replaced as it hasn't been played in many years, however I do not know how to check.
 
Probably will need a new stylus for the cartridge.

Check and see if a replacement is available and viable. :idea:

Cartridge should be OK for now.
 
That's a really impressive model TT by Toshiba ..... however I am not sure I would build a system around the unit :idea:?

Used turntables can be "fickle" to get back to like new condition and investing in a system solely to hear it play well.... might be disappointing.

You stated you are on a budget, perhaps its best to get a thrift shop (integrated type) receiver/amp or a loaner from a friend. Also EBAY has loads of old gear folk are willing to let go of.. $ next to nothing. Once you do get the Toshiba to full tilt ... you will find loads of vinyl to enjoy.

Vinyl and trading vinyl is at a premium right about now!
 
Look for a receiver and speaker on CraigsList. That way you can see and hear what you are buying before you buy it.
 
Thanks for all the help!
From what I'm hearing, would it be more cost effective to go with a newer turntable such as the Audio Technica ATLP60 with a pre amp and amp or continue to try and use this turntable. I would love to be able to take advantage of this hardware as it was free and vintage, however if it doesn't make sense to go down that path I would rather pursue a new direction.
 
I would think the turntable you already have will be comfortably better than the ATLP 60 so stick with it.

The speakers are the most important part of the ststem, so put most of your money into athem. Also, the speakers determine which amp would be suitable in terms of recommended wattage.
 
I would think an integrated amp or a receiver with a good pair of bookshelf speakers would be a great place to start. There are lots of vintage components on the market in the sub-forty watt range. Don't be impressed by big wattage numbers - there is plenty of good sound to be had (and money to be saved) by going low output. Don't forget, a nice pair of headphones can be a friend to your budget when speakers are not yet affordable, and can be very roommate friendly, too. (I am NOT talking earbuds here.)

Once you can produce sound you can find out what your turntable really needs. I've picked up record players that needed nothing more than a quick setup, and I've got them needing anything from a stylus to an overhaul.

Please let us know when you get that far and many people will be happy to help you with the basics of turntable setup, stylus inspection, etc.
 
Your comments really depend on which speaker. Speakers can be difficult to drive, and low wattage can cause problems, and in fact damage them. In general, it's a good idea to find out the recommended wattage range of your speakers, and choose an amp from the higher end
 
So for this model of turntable I would need just a receiver and a pair of speakers that match the wattage output?
 
Back
Top Bottom