• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need measurement of length of selector switch shaft

ossodiseppia

Well-Known Member
I've got a G-7000 with a broken selector switch shaft. It's possible the other G-6xxx and G-7xxx series have the same part. I'd like a measurement of the total length of the shaft, not including the plastic connector. I'm going to need to attach the end that holds the knob and need a precise measurement. Metric or English is ok with me. Thanks.


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0277.jpg
    DSCN0277.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I don't really get what you are asking, but the G-6000 is about 2 1/2 inches from the plastic to the end of the grey piece.

Sorry, it's not removed to measure, but there is play between the shafts and the grey piece.

I also have one of these. The grey piece pulls off, so it could be cut to length and filed to accept the grey piece.

100_4631.jpg


Rob
 
Thanks, Rob. I want an exact measurement of the length of the shaft, excluding the plastic coupler. I'm going to have a pilot hole drilled in the shaft so that I can graft a new "end" on. The new end piece will get turned down so that it fits in the pilot hole.

Thanks for offering that piece. How long is it and which unit is it from?
 
I get it now.:D

You want the measurement from the plastic piece to the end the knob fits on. Like the pic below.

I could pull the knobs and faceplate off the G-6000 to get a measurement, and compare it to the shaft I have.

I think the piece I have came from a 9090DB. It may be easier to cut the end off of the one I have and file the notch in it for the grey piece.:yes:

Shaft.jpg


Rob
 
I wanted the length of the entire shaft, but you're right. That portion that sticks out the front is what is really needed. I don't want one of the knobs sticking out further than the rest.

A guy across the hall from me has a lathe. BTW, my repair is going to be free. :thmbsp: But, I will certainly entertain your offer.

I'll measure the other pots to see how far the stick out.

Thanks for the help.
 
OK, let me know if doesn't work out. Mine was free too, except for shipping.:yes:

Measuring the other shafts on your unit is probably the way to go.

Rob
 
Rob is a known nice guy around these parts.....:thmbsp:

Indeed he is.

Rob, I took a look at the length of the shafts from the various pots and they are for the most part different lengths. The measurement that was fairly consistent is the distance from the part on the chassis where the post mount to the base of the knobs. That is about 13mm. I had initially thought that the front of all of the knobs would be on the same plane. They are not.

So, I'm thinking that the extension in your picture might be made to work. I'll dig into the piggy bank for the funds. I'll PM you so I can paypal you some coin.
 
Hey, I hope you guys don't mind if I jump in here, but I have a similar problem with a CA-3000 preamp I got from a friend. This unit is missing the knob and shaft for the 3-position Phono Loading switch. This pre was in storage for more than 20 years so there's no telling where the knob ended up. I took off the top and side panels in an attempt to see what happened but I still can't see where the shaft attached. Is the selector switch itself located in the back of the pre? I saw one photo from a service manual and it looks like the shaft connects to the switch via a collet or something similar. I'm guessing I can replace the shaft either using aluminum tubing (or similar) but where could I find the replacement knob?
 
I bought "a" knob from him but not "the" knob. He didn't have the exact replacement knob so I had to get the round one used on the Balance control. I also bought the Loading switch thinking that maybe the shaft had pulled out of the switch body itself. However, after getting both parts from him, I saw that there may be a missing shaft, too. I didn't see any of those shafts listed on his site.
 
I bought "a" knob from him but not "the" knob. He didn't have the exact replacement knob so I had to get the round one used on the Balance control. I also bought the Loading switch thinking that maybe the shaft had pulled out of the switch body itself. However, after getting both parts from him, I saw that there may be a missing shaft, too. I didn't see any of those shafts listed on his site.

No, he doesn't have those shafts. I got the one Robisme offered. I'm hoping to get the machine work done on it next week.

I DL'd the service manual and the shaft look pretty darn long. There's a long shaft from a 5000A on the bay at the moment. But, it doesn't appear to be totally correct for your application.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANSUI-5000...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f1f63f48d

There are also a couple of generic shafts on the bay that might be made to work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E70B-Alumin...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item337db37dde

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E54S-Alumin...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item337758cca0

you can get the SM here:

http://elektrotanya.com/sansui_ca3000_sm.pdf/download.html
 
I bought "a" knob from him but not "the" knob. He didn't have the exact replacement knob so I had to get the round one used on the Balance control. I also bought the Loading switch thinking that maybe the shaft had pulled out of the switch body itself. However, after getting both parts from him, I saw that there may be a missing shaft, too. I didn't see any of those shafts listed on his site.

I have two of them (CA-3000),and I can measure all the shafts you need (after the holidays), if you are able to make a new one. :smoke:
 
I have two of them (CA-3000),and I can measure all the shafts you need (after the holidays), if you are able to make a new one. :smoke:

If you could measure it, and take a pic, I will look through my stash of shafts. I may have one that will work.

Rob
 
Yesterday, I took the shaft I got from Rob to a co-worker's house. He has a milling machine that took care of it for me. I know using a milling machine was over-kill, but I wanted to make sure it was done right. Putting a file to it just didn't seem all that accurate to me. Enjoy the pictures.

attachment.php


Here John is setting the depth of the cutting tool and making sure that the bit is set to the same plane as the existing flat surface.



attachment.php


We machined a little bit to check the depth of the cut. It was a little on the high side, so John made the necessary adjustments.



attachment.php


With the depth properly set, we started milling the surface along the length of the shaft. The scribe mark is the stopping point.



attachment.php


Now that the surface has been milled, we cut the shaft to the proper length.



attachment.php


It came out perfect! Thank you John.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0377_small.JPG
    DSCN0377_small.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0380_small.JPG
    DSCN0380_small.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0384_small.JPG
    DSCN0384_small.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0389_small.JPG
    DSCN0389_small.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0395_small.JPG
    DSCN0395_small.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom