• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need opinion on Falcon Acoustics Q7 vs. Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2EX - What to buy?!?

Just an update... I got back in town and stopped to get Bryston Mini A and walked out with Kef R700 speakers, unexpectedly. I was looking at Spendor's and PMC's but those ones where out of budget. Dynaudio Emit was fitting into budget but then those Kef's were just few hundreds more expensive than Bryston Mini A (Mini A were 100$ more than Dynaudio's) and I just got them. Those are demo model from the store with shipping boxes and packed, ready to go. Now I how to reconsider which amp I will use for them and later they will go in my living room where I believe they will shine. I thought that bookshelf speaker will suit me better but those Kef's do not take much more space than a bookshelf on a stand.

Hope I did not made a mistake.

All the best folks.

P.S. The Falcon's Q7 I will get later in the year, maybe around Christmas but I look forward to hear your impressions!
 
Thanks! I have connected them first to Yamaha and later in the week they will go on Synthesis amplifier. My first listening impression is excellent. I was worried about ear fatigue but after few hours of use... nothing. A very, very balanced speakers. They having the same footprint as Triangle Borea BR03, and while I had them on stands, the Kef's actually taking less space as I did not screwed the outriggers. Someone was telling me that Yamaha will be not a good match but IMHO it is very good match in direct mode with all tone controls disabled.
 
@RAART, just wanted to give you an update as I have had the Falcons for a couple of days now. I got the base version and after hearing them I am kind of kicking myself for not going with the gold crossovers. The speakers sound great but now I'm wondering how much better they could be!

The build is super easy with just the tweeter mounting being a bit tricky but nothing I'd call difficult. Everything just bolts or screws together. The cabinets are very nice and these look like factory speakers once assembled.

How they sound...they are super revealing and will unvail less than stellar recordings for what they are. So clean and clear. I am hearing things I've never heard before in familiar recordings with ease. Vocals, guitar, strings, piano...they all sound so right and natural. The best part is, I hear all these wonderful details without needing to turn up the volume at all. I actually think I listen at a lower volume now because of this. They also mate very well with a sub and need one in my opinion. There isn't much bass to speak of in the room I am using which is on the small side.

They are fun and different from any speaker I've owned before. I swapped them out with some Kef LS50s and the Kef's sound relaxed and dull in comparison. So far, I dig them and can see what the fuss is about.

thumbnail_IMG_2998.jpg
 
Last edited:
Thank you!

I have made decision and I am buying the Falcon's but with golden badge x-over, as I mention to you before. I just putting on local market for sale my other bookshelf speakers (set by set, 2 sets as I am keeping one, the 3rd set) and as long as sale is done I will get those.
I did buy already Kef R700 speakers from the store that closed down and had everything on sale (by appointment only, if anyone wonders) and I do like R700 and do not hear too much difference between them and Reference 3 that I have audition at the other local store. There is some difference but this can be also the amp that they used to demo it.
I did miss port bungs but Kef America is kind enough to send me those for free and I just need to pay the shipping cost. Such an amazing customer support !!!

In the evenings I cannot play loud music since I live in a condo and thus need for a bookshelf speakers that play well at lower volume levels and you confirmed this as well. Very nice of you! Currently I have left only two integrated amplifiers and will buy in addition one power amp. I have set my eyes on McCormack amps and just need to sell other stuff that I do not need or use, and place those funds towards Q7 and McCormack amp.
 
@RAART, I think going gold badge is the right call. Jerry tried to talk me into it but I was gun shy. He said he uses a pair of gold badge Q7 all day every day in his office, which is saying something. I may at some point upgrade mine. Good luck with your sales and would love to hear your impressions of the GB Q7 once you have them. :)
 
I have Falcon Q7s with the gold badge crossover. They are on wall brackets in a desk system about 90cm apart and about the same distance to the chair. We have a terraced house so I normally listen at about 75bB. The speakers sound great in this nearfield arrangement with pretty much every amp and receiver I have tried them with, generally 1970s vintage kit, though when talking to Falcon before buying they recommended a minimum of 50W per channel into 8 ohms. The sound is very neutral/natural, but certainly shows the difference between CD and Spotify streaming.
 
Back
Top Bottom