• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need opinions for sub $100 CD player.......

Fletch

Well-Known Member
I know, I'm poor. Oh well. I see others dropping $300 to 2K and there is no way the Mrs will let that fly. So...........sad as it may seem, my budget is sub $100 and the cheaper the better. I'm looking for something better then my Sony PS1 SCPH-1001's - they sound great. More importantly, I have heard what a good CD player should sound like. So far I have found these as possible players:
Oppo DVD player - model #'s???
Sony ES Series - model #'s???
Denon DCD-1420 - any others?
Rotel 950

Slim list so far. Seems like I cannot find ANY audiophile CD players locally on the used market so that auction site may be my only option. Single player CD players is prefered - anything else does not matter besides the sound.

As always - thank you for any ideas and or opinions. Let me know if I should stear clear of any of those.
 
Register to hide this ad
ES is OK

I have several Sony ES changers and have been well-pleased with them.

On another note, the carousel-design of the Sony ES Changers certainly would not contribute to any degradation of the sound! It probably looks more impressive to have a great single disc player (I have one as well), but the convenience of a carousel is hard to beat.

Quite often Sony ES Carousels are available on the famous auction site for very reasonable $$$.

I bought a very nice ES a few years ago that was being sold as part of a package that included a Sony DVD player as well. It turned out that the combo got very few bids and I bought it pretty cheaply! I had no use for the DVD player and gave it to a neighbor of mine that didn't have one.

In addition, the ES Carousels usually come with a very nice remote that includes a line out control that serves well as a remote volume control!
 
I think it is going to be hard to beat the PS1 as a CDP for under $100. Maybe a Magnaovox or Phillips that uses the TDA1541 chip like the CDB 650? I've got a modified Magnavox changer (CDC 745) that I like alot.

I've heard good things about the JVC XLZ 1050 tool
 
Try the Pioneer PD-5030. I bought it in the late 80's. Until I recently bought the MCD500, it was my 'old reliable' for 20 yrs. It's still 'old reliable' in my 'guest bedroom' system. It's simple, functional, and gets the job done.
 
A used TASCAM could probably be had well under that $100 price limit. I like mine, it was $5 with the remote at a charity sale. Kinda beat-up around the face, but it sounds nice - the "ugly duckling" of my rig. I need to figure out some way to give it a brushed aluminum face. :D
 
If you look around the net, you may be able to find a new Pioneer elite dv-48 for around $100. It's a dvd player but plays CDs very well. Bonus: also SACD and DVD A.
 
Try the Pioneer PD-5030. I bought it in the late 80's. Until I recently bought the MCD500, it was my 'old reliable' for 20 yrs. It's still 'old reliable' in my 'guest bedroom' system. It's simple, functional, and gets the job done.

Does this have any relation to the PD-5010? I picked one up for $2 but do not like the sound. Seems muddy and harsh, less detail then the PS1.
 
A used TASCAM could probably be had well under that $100 price limit. I like mine, it was $5 with the remote at a charity sale. Kinda beat-up around the face, but it sounds nice - the "ugly duckling" of my rig. I need to figure out some way to give it a brushed aluminum face. :D

Any specific models I should be looking for?
 
If you look around the net, you may be able to find a new Pioneer elite dv-48 for around $100. It's a dvd player but plays CDs very well. Bonus: also SACD and DVD A.

DV-48AV any good? I also see several of the DV-46 and DV-37 - any ideas on those? Thanks!!
 
i don't mean to veer from the $100 topic, but if i were you i'd stash the $100 you have to put towards the cd player and then save some bucks for one that you know you want. the cambridge audio cd players are very fairly priced right now and i know they can come up for less on audiogon.

someone recently told me that every time you have a $5 bill to set it aside and forget it. i'll bet you it'd add up quicker than you think - it has for me.
 
i don't mean to veer from the $100 topic, but if i were you i'd stash the $100 you have to put towards the cd player and then save some bucks for one that you know you want. the cambridge audio cd players are very fairly priced right now and i know they can come up for less on audiogon.

someone recently told me that every time you have a $5 bill to set it aside and forget it. i'll bet you it'd add up quicker than you think - it has for me.

Great in theory but you forget about the Wifey factor. Setting aside $100 does not work, I can't dig deep enough to hide it(j/k) . I'm pushing my luck with the $100 price tag. I do appreciate the opinion and I am still in the 'looking' phase which could take a week or several months so.....
 
Mine is a CD-160, I like it. TASCAM is TEAC's professional line of equipment. Most of them come with rack mounts, but they're easy to remove.

WOW!! You got a good deal - they're going for $300 on the auction site. Too rich for my blood.
 
Great in theory but you forget about the Wifey factor. Setting aside $100 does not work, I can't dig deep enough to hide it(j/k) . I'm pushing my luck with the $100 price tag. I do appreciate the opinion and I am still in the 'looking' phase which could take a week or several months so.....

fair enough - just wanted to offer that. the $5 method is what i've been doing to feed my audio "problem" and i'm about $15 away from a tuner i've been wanting to pick up. doesn't take long.

regardless - let us know what you pick up! i'm all about getting the bang for the buck.
 
The early Magnavox's and Denon's are great vintage CD players.
But.....many of them are nearing the end of their service life.
Of course.....if you can find one for dirt cheep.....who cares?
Play it until it dies.....that's what yard sales, flea-markets, and flea-bay are for.
I saw a Magnavox CDB492 yesterday on flea-bay.....with a BIN of $17 (1543 chip).


Steve
 
The early Magnavox's and Denon's are great vintage CD players.
But.....many of them are nearing the end of their service life.
Of course.....if you can find one for dirt cheep.....who cares?
Play it until it dies.....that's what yard sales, flea-markets, and flea-bay are for.
I saw a Magnavox CDB492 yesterday on flea-bay.....with a BIN of $17 (1543 chip).


Steve

Early Magnavox - sounds interesting - wat models besides the one you listed shoudl I look for? 1543 chip?

Thanks for all of the opinions guys!!
 
Actually.....all the hype goes to the earlier TDA1541 chip......but the TDA1543 chip.....is damm near as good IMO.
I bought a Magnavox CDB460 CD player.....21 years ago this month.
Still going strong as a daily player.....and has YET to skip!
The Magnavox CDB650 CD player is the one everyone looks out for though.
But early Denon CD players.....like the DCD1500.....is every bit as good IMO.


Steve
 
Go to local pawnshops and look around.
'round here they kinda take a group approach to most things that are really common, like CDP's and Subs.
CDP's are 'typically' within the $80-100 range for 'most' here and occasionally a gem will still float through with a low price tag.
IF i was looking for a good cdp on the cheap, this is where I would look.
tal
 
Back
Top Bottom