• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need recommendations on a GOOD Boombox

bluesky

Lunatic Member
I 'NEED' a new boombox. What I'm looking for is a CD boombox with great sound.
Do you guys know any 'really good' ones that sound wonderful and are a quality build?

I do like Sony, and the sound quality is fine, but for no reason whatsoever my present Sony just crashed out. Just wouldn't play CDs anymore.
I do like Panasonic - I had great luck with a 1985 Panasonic boombox before. Still using it for a garage radio. But I don't know about new 2023 Panasonics.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a known EXCELLENT boombox? The CD is #1. An additional cassette player is nice too but it's not manditory.


The 2 BOOMBOXs I'm looking at right now:

1. Sony CFDS70-Blk CD/MP3 Cassette Boombox Home Audio Radio, Black, with AUX
$170. (NO REMOTE)

A compact CD/cassette player with AM/FM radio, sleep-timer, and 3-station preset capability.
Enjoy full-function stereo sound, Playback CDs, CD-R/RW and MP3 CDs with shuffle and program functions, Built-in cassette
tape deck
with a recording function.
FM/AM tuner with digital tuning and 30 station presets, AC and battery power options with up to 19 hours of battery life,
Aux audio input lets you connect digital music players
'MEGA BASS boost circuitry' enhances low-frequency bass performance at the touch of a button, AC power cord included
------

2. Panasonic RX-D55GC-K Boombox - High Power Portable Stereo AM/FM Radio, MP3 CD, Tape Recorder with USB & Music Port
Sound with 2-Way 4-Speaker (Black)
$164 (YES - HAS A REMOTE)

110V-240V Dual Voltage Boombox for Worldwide Use.
High Quality Sound and High Power with 2-Way 4-Speaker and Big Size Speaker Box - 280 W[P.M.P.O] RMS Power Output
10 W x 2 (RMS MAX / DC)
Plays CD, CD-R/RW and MP3, CD AM/FM radio, Cassette Recorder
Music Port on Front Panel for Digital Audio Player Playback
Full Remote Control (CD/Tuner/Tape) and Feather-Touch Cassette Deck Mechanism


Any & ALL advice is most welcome, especially if you know of other brands or models that you are extremely happy with!

Thanks to everyone! :thumbsup:
 
Register to hide this ad
I know you asked about a boombox, but if quality sound is the primary requirement, I'd probably go for a Bluetooth speaker (or a pair if you don't plan on using it while walking) and a CD player with bluetooth out. Maybe something like this (which I guess is a boombox). I just purchased a pair of JBL Flip 6 speakers, and they have great sound and you can get real stereo out of them. Not great for use while walking, of course.

ETA: maybe a pair of these if the price of the Boombox is a bit hard to swallow.
 
Last edited:
Whatever you buy will fail in short order. What kind of CD transport quality do you expect when the whole thing is less than $200? I'd get something from the JBL Party Box Bluetooth speaker line. The bigger ones are impressive in their deep bass and performance.

I still have a Cambridge Soundworks table radio (like Bose Wave only better and cheaper). The CD transport doesn't work but it has an aux input and I have a BT streamer on it. It's not battery powered tho.
 
Whatever you buy will fail in short order. What kind of CD transport quality do you expect when the whole thing is less than $200? I'd get something from the JBL Party Box Bluetooth speaker line. The bigger ones are impressive in their deep bass and performance.

I still have a Cambridge Soundworks table radio (like Bose Wave only better and cheaper). The CD transport doesn't work but it has an aux input and I have a BT streamer on it. It's not battery powered tho.
Isn;t that sad? I have a 27 y.o. Discman that is still chugging along. Good luck these days.
 
My wife used to have a JVC PC-X100 which I thought sounded great. It has a sub built into the main unit.

Unfortunately the cd door mechanism broke so we got rid of it a few years ago.

 
My friend used to have one of these, or a similar model. JVC Kaboom. It has subs on the side. Might be too big for your needs. It sounded pretty impressive.

1702662539669.png
 
@Bill S I don't think 100% of CD drives will fail. I have 2 middle aged boomboxes and somehow they still work - in fact they are my only working cassette tape players. That is 2 datapoints only and YMMV.

@bluesky I imagine your use case is something where bluetooth is not ideal, like an elderly relative or speakers and listener are out of bluetooth range. Can you fill in any detail?

The Sony is out of production. The Panasonic looks pretty mediocre but the brand is reliable for sure. For likely similar performance at a much better price I can vouch for this one - you can buy 3 of them for the price of the 2 Sony/Panas and throw them away if/when they fail (mine is still working after about 5 years).
Insignia boom box
 
@Bill S I don't think 100% of CD drives will fail. I have 2 middle aged boomboxes and somehow they still work - in fact they are my only working cassette tape players. That is 2 datapoints only and YMMV.

@bluesky I imagine your use case is something where bluetooth is not ideal, like an elderly relative or speakers and listener are out of bluetooth range. Can you fill in any detail?

The Sony is out of production. The Panasonic looks pretty mediocre but the brand is reliable for sure. For likely similar performance at a much better price I can vouch for this one - you can buy 3 of them for the price of the 2 Sony/Panas and throw them away if/when they fail (mine is still working after about 5 years).
Insignia boom box
Your data points are older boom boxes. Newer ones are built cheap and their SQ is also feeble. The world has moved on from portable CD players I'm afraid. You can still find some but I would find them almost unlistenable today. There are so many better options today but yes, that requires streaming from a BT source.
 
You may be right but that Insignia is as cheap as can be and still kicking. If you just want to hear background tunes the sound is good enough - portable, self-contained, multimedia, and battery-powered are the virtues.

As you correctly point out, these are not going to win any audio awards. In fact I never heard a boom box with decent audio. But they have some very appropriate use cases.
 
I imagine your use case is something where bluetooth is not ideal, like an elderly relative or speakers and listener are out of bluetooth range. Can you fill in any detail?
I don't follow this. If the user is carrying both the CD player (with Bluetooth output) and the Bluetooth speaker, they most definitely will be in range of one another.
 
Gotta hear the use case from the OP.

If its all about CDs and there is no other impediment, of course a BT speaker and a BT-enabled CD player sitting next to each other will work fine once configured.

However, the OP didn't ask for a BT/CD solution, he asked for a boombox. Maybe it's for his great aunt who can only figure out how to push play/stop, or maybe he longs for a simpler time with on/off switches, or needs music in a secure facility where wireless is disabled, or there's tons of RF noise nearby, or he wants something he can pick up and instantly move, or he likes D batteries vs. rechargeable, or he only has one free AC outlet, or he also wants FM but doesn't have cell service in the location, etc etc.

Personally I have no fear or friction with technology, I use BT every day, and my boombox rarely. But wireless can be a PITA - we put up with flaws as the price of added versatility. Let's hear from the OP.

As a follow-on, maybe there's a new thread for Bluetooth and wifi gripes.
 
Thanks to all!

I do really like JVC boomboxs. Had one for 20 years - sounded really nice too. (Won it in a raffle) I will also 'check out' Bluetooth.

This will just be a simple - working - 'garage Workbench stereo' in constant dust, dirt, vibration from banging, & 'high humidity' (S. Fla), shoved here and shoved there ... and will probably get 'rough handled/knocked around a bit'. :) You know - working garage. 'Push & Play' IS the ticket - greasy, dirty, banged up, bleeding hands! :rflmao:

I guess I should have mentioned that first off. It doesn't have to be 'special'. If it sounds good it's absolutely good enough. If it breaks, it breaks. Like that.

My thinking is that a quality sound boombox for $150 to $200 would work fine.

:music:
 
Last edited:
If you can protect it, the Sony D3000 is a cool model but not really a boombox. It was a high end model Sony sold door-to-door and it was designed by the famous industrial designer Giuguaro (Italdesign). There are some other models and they range up to $600 used. The JVC (Victor) Clavia, KT-RC1 is another cool model, I have the Hello Kitty Pink one and it gets the looks. These were decent money in the early 2000's, make sure you get the remote if you find one, they pop up for sale regularly, mostly coming from Japan.

For new, the GPO Brooklyn came out a few years ago and isn't too bad looking especially if you want the bling look. You can still get them on Amazon.

Watch Techmoan's Review first, he also recommends the newer Panasonic RX-D50.

 
Back
Top Bottom