• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need road map for Olson Tube receiver

Richard D

Well-Known Member
Hello again, I am still trying to find a schematic for an Olson RA-809 receiver. I did get a responce from Irving Olson himself, he said he would ask around. Now that's what I call customer service, after forty years the founder of the company tries to help the non-original customer. As I mentioned this receiver uses two 6GW8s for output tubes for each channel. I have new tubes and the new caps should be here this week. And I thought the tubes were expensive, but that is the cost of keeping rare items in stock then thats fine with me. My Pace $850.00 solder/desolder station broke 2 of the carbon vanes in the vacuum pump and I was told that my model has not been made in 10 years and the new pumps are not compatible. A new station would only cost $885.00 For a piece of carbon the size of your finger nail. :thumbsdn: Sorry for the rant.
Richard.
 
Register to hide this ad
I am sure the Olson was made by someone else (most likely Pioneer, like the Allieds of the same era)... I'd search for a lookalike, e.g., on eBAY, then find a schematic for THAT.

If you can post a photo, we might be in a better position to help (although Tom Bavis may well have a line on a schematic...)

Did you check the Sams website? They do have a searchable database (although the paper index usually works better for me).

Speaking of 6GW8's... I just bought 4 of 'em for my Heathkit AA-32 from Dick Bergeron (Electron Tube Enterprises). IIRC they were $8 a pop, which didn't strike me as too bad for a tube that I don't think was made in huge numbers.
 
Some of the original HV caps are marked Olson and others LILY and others RIKEN. And the ones someone else got to ELNA. It will speak again! I will have spent 5 times it's value but that's not imporant now. On the fifteenth of next month it will be important:) But not now!
Richard. :)
 
Last edited:
Please. No one mention the Turk&y word again. I am so tried of trky sandwiches, sliced trky,deep fried trky. urp.
 
Back
Top Bottom