• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need some opinions and advice on what amp to buy

Greg86z28

Well-Known Member
Need some opinions on McIntosh gear.

Right now I'm powering my L150s with a McIntosh C32 preamp and a Pioneer SA-8800 standing in as the power amp (80 w/ch). I use AudioQuest Evergreen interconnects.

I have been searching for a McIntosh Power Amp to replace the Pioneer. Initially, I was thinking something like a MC2500, but now I've also been wondering how something like a MC7270 would compare? They seem similar in specs, although the MC2500 is a tank, probably due to the build quality for durability?

There is a MC7270 locally on CL that has been listed for awhile and the seller is asking $1,500 right now, seems like a good deal (seller claims 8/10 for condition). I'm probably looking at about $2,500 for a MC2500. Another option in that $1,000-1,500 range is the MC2205, but 200 w/ch might be a little less than I'm looking for.

This will be my first really "nice" piece of audio gear (aside from the C32 and L150s). I've only got a year or two in the hobby.

(Another twist is I just picked up a JBL B460 that needs to be restored. I think I will need a separate amp to drive this? Spending $2k+ on a power amp now may not help if I need another amp in the future.)

Thanks for the advice,

Greg
 
Register to hide this ad
Need some opinions on McIntosh gear.

Right now I'm powering my L150s with a McIntosh C32 preamp and a Pioneer SA-8800 standing in as the power amp (80 w/ch). I use AudioQuest Evergreen interconnects.

I have been searching for a McIntosh Power Amp to replace the Pioneer. Initially, I was thinking something like a MC2500, but now I've also been wondering how something like a MC7270 would compare? They seem similar in specs, although the MC2500 is a tank, probably due to the build quality for durability?

There is a MC7270 locally on CL that has been listed for awhile and the seller is asking $1,500 right now, seems like a good deal (seller claims 8/10 for condition). I'm probably looking at about $2,500 for a MC2500. Another option in that $1,000-1,500 range is the MC2205, but 200 w/ch might be a little less than I'm looking for.

This will be my first really "nice" piece of audio gear (aside from the C32 and L150s). I've only got a year or two in the hobby.

(Another twist is I just picked up a JBL B460 that needs to be restored. I think I will need a separate amp to drive this? Spending $2k+ on a power amp now may not help if I need another amp in the future.)

Thanks for the advice,

Greg

Depends on a few things, a MC2500 would be great but they are really geared more towards pro applications where they will be running beyond 100% for extended periods of time, they have extreme thermal management in the way of cooling fans for this.....
The MC2500 is a powerhouse 500watts per channel, and will drive any load you want to throw at it....
If you dont mind the slightly "agricultural" look, then it would a good way to go....I wouldn't say no, and still may well go there at some point....

The MC7270 obviously is almost only half the power of the MC2500, but it is convection cooled (no fans) and is more aesthetically pleasing.....I have never heard one, but I was considering one when I bought, but I ended up extending my budget and going for a NOS MC352 from Audio Classics....
The MC7270 is an older design (nothing wrong with them by any means), but the MC352 is a cheaper way to get into the modern Mc Quad balanced sound.
I like it a lot, and I am really glad I went that way....Certainly buying MC352 also meant I did not have to worry about re-capping or other long term maintenance issues which would be something to think about buying an older MC7270 or MC2500....

My 2 cents worth
 
The 7270 is not a bad machine... It is a Mcintosh after all but doesn't get much love.. The 7200 and 7300 were more interesting, the 7200 being one of the few direct coupled amps made by Mcintosh... I had one for a week or two...you might also want to look into units like the mc300 or mc500, both great amps...more recent and less potential for trouble.
 
I'm gonna spare you the advice on vintage amps and get right to the point. I've owned the 7270, 2205, and the 2300. As stated, the 2300/2500/2600 are more industrial amps. The Grateful Dead used them in their concerts. For pure audiophile sound quality for the home, I preferred the 7270 and the 2205. The 2300/2500/2600 series are overkill in most systems unless you have extremely demanding speakers. As stated in this thread, the 2300/2500/2600 series all have fans - and that's something that can produce noise. Although the fans come on when the amp is running high power, not at idle or low power.

The 2205 and 7270 have kept their value better than the 2300/2500/2600 series and will probably do so in the future.
 
I always thought of a 7270 as a stripped down 2255. It didn't have all the test circuitry. I thought the 7300 was really the next step up though I much preferred the 7200, which was a real strep forward. But I do agree that a 352 would be a better choice if you have full range speakers capable of wide dynamic range. As for the fans if your playing the music that loud you won't hear the fans of a 2500 any way especially if its on the far side of the room from where your seated. 3500 owners never complained about the fan once the update was installed to make them temperature sensitive. I only head a MC300 briefly, the same for a MC500, they were the first of the really high current amps, I'm told. But as there are always budget concerns one of them might be placed under consideration. A friend of mine said once that the 2000 series amps were of a classic time and design and he accepted the sound they produced as such. That the Century series, MC150, 300, 500, was the first really positive step forward Mac had made in a very transitional period. As that is when they changed their design philosophy from a high quality more industrial design and performance of the early tube amps and closely associated SS stuff to a design to extract the highest performance from speakers with complex loads not seen in the early days. The 352 was start of Mac returning to the pinnacle sound reproduction for SS amps that they had gained with tube equipment in the past and had resurrected.
 
What's the value on a 7270? No wood case, current owner took it in as payment from original owner. Says the condition is 8/10 everything works. $1500 firm.
 
What's the value on a 7270? No wood case, current owner took it in as payment from original owner. Says the condition is 8/10 everything works. $1500 firm.

I reckon thats a good price for a MC7270, you dont actually see them come up that often.....The going rate is about 1000-1200 for a good MC2205......
So as long as it is 8/10 its probably not a bad buy at all.....
 
I got that MC7270. It was pretty much mint. I offered 1300 but he turned me down. A week or so later he said he'd do 1300. I love it so far.

McIntosh0.JPG
 
I got that MC7270. It was pretty much mint. I offered 1300 but he turned me down. A week or so later he said he'd do 1300. I love it so far.

Wow, I think you got a very good deal there......

Isnt it great looking at it all lit up in the dark.....

I like your creative photography.....:thmbsp:
 
That's a bargain. I bought a bunch of those for $1,200 each, but I had to buy four to get that price. I'm still kicking myself for selling them as quickly as I did. I liked the MC7270 far more than I did the MC2500 . . .

So, how's that baby sound?
 
Sorry,

I never responded to this. I still think the C32 preamp was the best addition to my stable, in terms of instant improvement. However the 7270 has a lot more in the bottle than the "measly" 80 W/ch Pioneer SA-8800. It's funny because 3 years ago when I started I thought I was kicking ass with a Sony STR-7025 and Pioneer HPM-100s! Ha, what did I know!

Right now I use the 7270 to power my L250s (upgraded to Ti components, still working on getting/building the Ti crossovers though).

So my system is C32/7270 and L250s and a Sony CDP-650ESD.

I really, really like it. I just got a B460 last summer, and I'm looking around for a power amp. Proceed, McIntosh.... We'll see.
 
Wow, I've never seen a B460 before (460mm . . .). 18" woofer in an 8 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 26 Hz. That's pretty close to what I run in my office (although I run a pair). A second MC7270 would be a sweet match, but I doubt you'll find another one at that price.

Did you notice that B460 has a 4 dB greater sensitivity than the L250s? You could likely get away with an amplifier half the size and save a few bucks. Long ago, a friend of mine built a custom vented subwoofer system that I helped him model on the PC for a pair of high efficiency 18" woofers. He used an MC2100 to power the pair and used MC2205s strapped to mono for his mains (K-Horns). It was a perfect match and that MC2100 really ran those subwoofers quite well.

Pics of your B460? OH, and hanging around this forum is a good way to spend money!
 
Back
Top Bottom