• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NEVER have a Dual headshell or hum issue again

arcorob

Addicted Member
This is an easy easy project costing about 20 to 25 dollars..and you can ensure you will never have a Dual sled issue or hum issue ever again.

I have a Dual 721 with the typical Dual sled. LOVE the table but have always hated 1) Intermittant sled/headshell connections 2) Chasing hums that never quite go away 100%

SOLVED.

Recently I bought a LITZ wire kit online. Very awesome tonearm wire and connectors I used for my DIY table. Well, they sent me so much, I had enough for another table (and a bit left over). Was fed up with the Dual issues since I got my AT150Mlx back, sometimes I would have to press the back of the sled to get a good connection and there was always some residual hum...very low..BUT I KNEW IT WAS THERE.

So I decided. Make or break, I am not putting up with this anymore.

The project steps.
1) Identify where your tonearm wires connect in the table (underneath) because that is your destination.

2) Get your replacement wires ready.
I cut 4 same length strands and on the one end I soldered new connector tags - Red White Blue Green - on the opposite end I used magic marker to color code the wire because the wire is all one color (silk) so it hold the maker well.

3) Now that you have your wires you want to use the OLD wires to feed it through (this wont work but I'll tell you of the attempt anyway and tell you what DOES work)

4) Remove the back plate in the headshell by sliding it down and pulling the wires forward...Looks like this

28025_566067433408723_1663327437_n.jpg


5) Clip that puppy off and pull the old wires forward a bit so you can grab them.

6) Tape the new set of wires to these securely because you are going to PULL the wires from inside the table to feed the new ones through. Why did I say it doesn't work ? Because unless these things are skinny, flexible and soldily mated when you pull them through, it wont make the 90 degree bend when it gets near the tonearm pivot. Yikes. I knew that would happen.

Well, never fear. If you feed them down the arm tube and talke off the counterweight, they feed straight out the back of the arm. The counterweight shaft is slotted and the wires fit throough there just fine, so you can now feed them down through the hole (from the back of the tabel look at the arm pivot, to the right is a hole that doesn''t move and the wires go there)

7) Feed them under the table.

Now you will note, the original wires had 5 (1 black ground) but I only showed you 4. Forget the black ground wire from the arm. You will not need it.

8) Connect your wires for the RCA's inside the table - They go where these were
563812_566067703408696_1908165783_n.jpg


9) Now take one of your Dual sleds and clip the wires off and get rid of the back pins. Will look like this.

530336_566067340075399_1322846358_n.jpg


10) Connect your new dangling wire tags to the cart pins while its in the sled.

432199_566067883408678_35803402_n.jpg


11) Insert your sled as it normally goes and lock it in...no worries about back plate connections, etc.

Now play the thing...No hum, no bad connections and I tell you this, the Litz wire is incredible ...It does make a difference in sound (I would not have believed it) but it is superb.

Does this help ?

Total time with soldering and being careful - 1 hour
Total cost - 1/2 of the $25 I spent on wire (so $12 ) plus used a set of cart tags I got with an AT cart (the kit with those 4 stiff wires..lol)

Now you will LOVE your Dual forever because it is flawless.

BTW..the ground ? You still connect your table ground but no ground wire to the arm.

11)
 
Register to hide this ad
No problem....

Anyone who has ever wrestled with a Dual sled where it works then doesnt then does...ad infinitum...or that dreaded low hum...this is not only an easy fix but the wire type seems to improve overall sound...

I should have taken more pictures but was concentrating on getting it done...
 
Nice job - I like it! I've even got a screwed up Dual sled that the top cover and wires / springs fell out of - would be perfect for this mod. Glad I didn't chuck it!
 
I Looked at your manual

I am going to print this and stare at my 1019 most intently..! Thanks for the post!

Pretty sure your 1019 counterweight has the little v-slot...perfect path for the wires..down the tonearm, out the v-slot, down the hole...easy squeezy.

Just look to see the path down the tonearm pivot (where do they go now) and is there a small hole down that they can go down...leave a little slack so there can be no binding and you will have some killer wires with tabs at the end that never get intermittant.
 
Connectors

Nice job - I like it! I've even got a screwed up Dual sled that the top cover and wires / springs fell out of - would be perfect for this mod. Glad I didn't chuck it!

These are the connectors (picture 1) that they gave me with the Litz wire..very cool..but they might be too long for the Dual sled (they were perfect for my AT1100 arm). So what I used on the dual was in picture two..clipped them off and soldered to the Litz wires and some shrink tube to cover ..see pic 3

561490_552838471398286_243187404_n.jpg


429508_566172160064917_1412949763_n.jpg


18318_566173070064826_992226135_n.jpg
 
Good job!

Those look like great wire. Where did you find them for $25? The best price I saw was $49. Am I looking @ the wrong product?

I need to do a Yamaha table and a Dual 1019.

Thanx for this thread!!
 
actually ...

Good job!

Those look like great wire. Where did you find them for $25? The best price I saw was $49. Am I looking @ the wrong product?

I need to do a Yamaha table and a Dual 1019.

Thanx for this thread!!

About 18 dollars...LOL

See this seller..I am sure he has more...(sorry about the epray link but thats where he does business) he also has a website and sells turntables

wire listing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170872917432?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The website
http://www.trans-fi.com/
 
You sir

Hmmm. I've been using Dual's since 1976, and never had a problem with hum.

Lead a charmed life...LOL

There are actually many sites on the net that talk about Dual hum's...So in a sense, you must be doing something that prevents it or just been lucky.

Congrats !!!

Have you ever had a sled issue ? Two for two and I want you to buy me a lotto ticket :D
 
No problems with either. I've cleaned the pins on the sleds before simply because they looked grungy, but not because of any problem.
 
EW------ What would you recommend to clean the pins and contact mating surface with. De-OX ????
 
The times I cleaned them, DeOxit did nothing to remove the tarnish. I took the cart off the sled and used an old toothbrush dipped in Brasso to scrub the pins, then used soap and water and another toothbrush to clean off the Brasso, then blasted it dry with compressed air (nice to have a compressor in the garage ;)).

The surface on the tonearm side...I can't recall ever having a problem here. Not sure how I'd clean it. Small eraser, maybe? Or a Q-Tip with a tiny bit of Brasso on it?
 
OK------The pins are not that big of a deal---the part I'm concerned with is the flat board under the head --where the pins touch. I guess a Q tip and brasso.
BTW --I run a Dual 1229 and a 1229Q.
The 1229 has a ever so slight hum. The Q is a quiet as a church mouse. Both use a Shure M95HE
 
Ayyyyyyyyyyyy

OK------The pins are not that big of a deal---the part I'm concerned with is the flat board under the head --where the pins touch. I guess a Q tip and brasso.
BTW --I run a Dual 1229 and a 1229Q.
The 1229 has a ever so slight hum. The Q is a quiet as a church mouse. Both use a Shure M95HE

DONT use brasso on the back plate...the silvered coating there is VERY thin..you would really be asking for trouble.

Tha easiet I have found is TARN-X on a q-tip...rub gently, get any oxidation off.

For the headshell pins, you can do the same or you can use brasso there...JUST NOT ON THE BACKPLATE...whew...


I am happy Echowars has never had an issue but he is definately in the minority ...clean headshell and backplate or not, its luck. Duals hum and thats due to the grounding scheme. Do all ? No...but enough that its a hot topic.

Dual headshells have issues. all ? 100% ? No ..but just check the forums and the web..it is common.

so lets just assume the tables echowars has had are the genetic minority

Just do a search and viola - wealth of data on the subject which is why the thread is for those who HAVE an issue or HAVE had issue and not for those who say they have never had a problem since 1976 :D

http://www.bing.com/search?q=dual+turntable+hum&src=ie9tr
 
Back
Top Bottom