• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New A-S801 vs older A-S1000 - sound quality difference?

drabina

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Does anybody know if there is a big difference in sound quality between the new A-S801 and the older A-S1000 integrated? I know that the new one has digital input (coax, toslink) but I am curious as to the sound quality between the top of the consumer line A-S801 and the A-S1000 model.
 
Register to hide this ad
The A-S1000 isn't terribly old but would say the 1000 would sound more refined. It is a higher quality build and higher quality components, but they would be close and would share a sonic signature. It would come down to the features you want. Many that would choose the 1000 typically have seperate digital gear to connect.
 
Thanks for replying. I am leaning toward the A-S801 because of the availability of silver color and those added digital inputs. I have mostly analog system but they may come handy in the future.
 
If it has a digital input, it has an integrated DAC, which is throwing in a whole additional component into the box. I looked and it has an integrated Sabre Based Delta-Sigma DAC.

The A-S1000 with a good external DAC would likely sound better. I prefer ladder based DACs - not delta-sigma based DACs,
 
Last edited:
Thanks for replying. I am leaning toward the A-S801 because of the availability of silver color and those added digital inputs. I have mostly analog system but they may come handy in the future.
The a-s1000 is also available in silver, and if you are already mostly analog then...

If it has a digital input, it has an integrated DAC, which is throwing in a whole additional component into the box. I looked and it has an integrated Sabre Based Delta-Sigma DAC.

The A-S1000 with a good external DAC would likely sound better. I prefer ladder based DACs - not delta-sigma based DACs,
...I'd go with the a-s1000. They will be close price wise and even closer for a used 1000:idea:.
 
Back
Top Bottom