• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Caps for old speakers

vinyl fiend

Active Member
I recently acquired a nice pair of Hartley speakers, a CG and a Cg jr. Unfortunately, through a deadly combination of sunny weather, painting the house and very strong beer (Oscar's Old Chub), I fried the tweeter in one of the boxes. (little 30 watt Fisher Futura 202 on 8 may have clipped a bit). Hopefully, everything else is ok, but it sparked the need to change the caps. In the crossover are two caps 50uf @ 50V. And an inline tweeter cap 12uf @ 50v. Any recommendations for a good replacement? thank you.
 
Register to hide this ad
Dayton 1%ers. Used them in Altec beleros with very fine results and a lot of others have used them as well and I haven't seen a compliant
 
I like the Daytons too. Very good quality for the price as caps go. You can always go down the rabbit hole later and spend as much as you want.

There are some extensive cap threads around here and there are fans of other reasonably priced caps. I have nothing against any of the others, it's just that I got started with Daytons and liked the results and have recapped a dozen pairs with them and they work.

A fellow AKer in KC, litefootdan, has a pair of Concertmaster IV as I recall. We did a rebuild on the crossovers and set them up for biamping. All Dayton caps. He loves em.
 
I use Dayton polys for most recaps as well. I usually go with 5% to save a few bucks since they usually test closer to 2-3% tolerance anyways, but can't go wrong with 1% either. Just keep the uf value the same, but you can bump up the voltage rating depending on what's available for the caps you choose.
 
The Daytons are 250V which is probably more than needed for most speakers. That's my only complaint if you can call it a complaint. They'd be a little smaller if they had selected 200 or even 150V. But it has no effect on the sound per se.
 
The Daytons are 250V which is probably more than needed for most speakers. That's my only complaint if you can call it a complaint. They'd be a little smaller if they had selected 200 or even 150V. But it has no effect on the sound per se.
Agree, they are a little big, so sometimes you have to get creative mounting them. Sure are good though!
 
hey Thanks for the recommendation! the Daytons are poly or metalized? I know there are a few different types of caps, I just don't know the difference.
 
Back
Top Bottom