• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Cartridge for Pioneer PL-530

Alex Estrada

New Member
New to AK, though I've visited many times to do research/find opinions on gear. Excuse me if this is a topic that's been brought up many times before, but I'm hoping for some more up to date advice based on what the market is like today in 2018.

I've just finished putting together a new system, which includes a Pioneer PL-530 brought up to speed. The PL-530 came with an Empire 1000 SE/X. The Empire looks and sounds good to me, but I've been wondering if a new cart might better suit me. Additionally, I learned the hard way that the auto functionality of my turntable is a bit off, and the needle came down onto the rubber record mat once, though I haven't been able to tell any sonic difference, so any damage from that seems minimal.

I'm running the turntable into a Pioneer SX-939 and a pair of JBL 4311 monitors. I listen to mostly rock and jazz, along with some classical and any old Bollywood LPs I can get my hands on.
I've seen the Shure m97xe recommended time and time again, and I ran that Shure on my old PL-518, but it never really jumped out at me sonically.
I'd like to take my cartridge/stylus game a notch up and I'm looking to spend $100-250. I've heard good things about the Nagaoka MP-110, but any input is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Alex
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I've been looking at the Nagaoka MP-200 as a possible option... Thoughts?
I know its a bit out of my original price range, but I think I can rustle up the funds for it, and could keep the Empire on a spare headshell.
 
I've been looking at the Nagaoka MP-200 as a possible option... Thoughts?
I know its a bit out of my original price range, but I think I can rustle up the funds for it, and could keep the Empire on a spare headshell.

Should be pretty nice sounding pair with the tone arm of the Pioneer PL-530. :thumbsup:

Don't forget to allow for the 30 hours of break in time.

- Cantilever: High-strength Boron
- Stylus type: Superfine elliptical diamond
- Weight: 6.5 g
- Output voltage @ 1kHz,5cm/sec: 4mV
- Dynamic compliance: 7.2 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Static compliance: 20 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Tracking force range: 1.5 - 2.0 g
- Break-in period: 30 hours
 
Should be pretty nice sounding pair with the tone arm of the Pioneer PL-530. :thumbsup:

Don't forget to allow for the 30 hours of break in time.

- Cantilever: High-strength Boron
- Stylus type: Superfine elliptical diamond
- Weight: 6.5 g
- Output voltage @ 1kHz,5cm/sec: 4mV
- Dynamic compliance: 7.2 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Static compliance: 20 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Tracking force range: 1.5 - 2.0 g
- Break-in period: 30 hours

Just cause I'm curious and I've been eyeing the Nagaoka line (and one of my friends wants to buy a camera lens of mine), how do you think an MP-300 or MP-500 would do on the PL-530? I noticed both the 300 and 500 are 1.5g heavier than the MP-200.
 
Just cause I'm curious and I've been eyeing the Nagaoka line (and one of my friends wants to buy a camera lens of mine), how do you think an MP-300 or MP-500 would do on the PL-530? I noticed both the 300 and 500 are 1.5g heavier than the MP-200.

I have heard the Nagaoka MP-300 in action a few times on other people's stereo in their home for short periods only.

Don't have much recollection on the MP-300 cartridge other than that it performed well enough for the owner and us guests, nothing negative comes to mind.

I do have the older version Nagaoka MP-50 on my Pioneer PL-550 and it is an excellent performer in all respects for me.

I don't think I have ever used the anything more advance than the Nagaoka MP-11 Gold/Boron and MP-110 on my Pioneer PL-530, they were not available to me back then.

Probably the best mm cartridge in that price range in my small mm cartridge collection. :thumbsup:
 
I have heard the Nagaoka MP-300 in action a few times on other people's stereo in their home for short periods only.

Don't have much recollection on the MP-300 cartridge other than that it performed well enough for the owner and us guests, nothing negative comes to mind.

I do have the older version Nagaoka MP-50 on my Pioneer PL-550 and it is an excellent performer in all respects for me.

I don't think I have ever used the anything more advance than the Nagaoka MP-11 Gold/Boron and MP-110 on my Pioneer PL-530, they were not available to me back then.

Probably the best mm cartridge in that price range in my small mm cartridge collection. :thumbsup:

Think I'm going to try and go for the MP-300 or MP-500, I'll let you guys know how it works out ;)
 
Think I'm going to try and go for the MP-300 or MP-500, I'll let you guys know how it works out ;)

Go to the dealer and see If you could audition both before deciding.

The cartridge for the MP-300 and MP-500 are heavier and different than the other models.

Best of luck with your choice! :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom