• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New cartridge for Sansui SR-525

jnapier999

New Member
Original owner SR-525 with Pioneer SX-727 and Pioneer CS-63DX speakers

The TT has the original (1974) SV-27 cartridge. I am looking to replace with a Shure M97xE that I found on JR.com for $55. Does this sound like a compatible matchup?

Also, the TT had a template/guide thingy that I assume was used for mounting cartridges to the headshell. I have lost it. Will mounting the Shure cartridge be a problem without it?

Thanks in advance
 
Register to hide this ad
Original owner SR-525 with Pioneer SX-727 and Pioneer CS-63DX speakers

The TT has the original (1974) SV-27 cartridge. I am looking to replace with a Shure M97xE that I found on JR.com for $55. Does this sound like a compatible matchup?

Also, the TT had a template/guide thingy that I assume was used for mounting cartridges to the headshell. I have lost it. Will mounting the Shure cartridge be a problem without it?

Thanks in advance

You may find a low cost digital calipers helpful since the template/guide thingy is lost.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...rds=digital+calipers&sprefix=digital+calipers

http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Digital-...FMIO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313179080&sr=8-2
 
Assuming you mounted it correctly originally and the stylus tip is still in place, you can use a ruler or calipers (as Balifly lined to) to measure the distance from the stylus tip to the end of the rubber grommet (where the headshell meets the tonearm) in mm if you can, then record it for future use. When mounting any new cartridge you only need use that same measurement, while keeping the cartridge square in the headshell.

The alternative is to download one of the protractors at vinylengine (Baerwald, Loefgren, or Stevenson) for which Dmannnnn provided the link. These are all correct and accurate, but use different geometry, so they will not position the cartridge the same way. Often folks end up using the one that allows the most comfortable positioning in the headshell slots. It's trial and error to see which one works best. Using the mfr's shortcut distance is easier and faster, and just as accurate--but be aware that it will not conform with any of the protractors (sometimes it will with Stevenson), so don't use them to check it.
 
Back
Top Bottom