• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New cd player connecting to retro stereo equipment

Toddman60

New Member
Hi. I'm a new member and had a question -
I just bought a Marantz CD 5005 cd player and connected it to the following system :
Parasound HCA High Current Power Amp
Crown Straight Line Two Preamp (purchased 1981 - old, I know)
It works fine and sounds good but I'm unable to use the tone controls and volume control. My question is do I have it hooked up properly or is something like a crossover needed or is it even possible to get it to work without buying a new preamp ?
Any help is appreciated and thanks !
Toddman
 
Register to hide this ad
Did you plug the CD player straight into the back of the power amp? Because that's about the only thing I can think of that would bypass the preamp's tone controls and volume control.

Plug the CD player into the preamp's Aux Input, then plug the output of the preamp (probably labeled "Main" under the output section on that Crown model) into the input on the power amp.

That's how it should be hooked up. Let us know how it goes.
 
Not familiar with that preamp, but does it have a tone defeat switch?

Is the CD player plugged into the aux jacks?
 
Hi ! Thanks for your reply. Let me get back with you on that - I'll try reading up on my old Crown manual and hook it up again. My description could get a little lengthy if it doesn't work.
This shouldn't require a manual or lengthy description. Plug the CD player into the Crown's aux input. Then run the Crown's output into your amp.
 
Back
Top Bottom