• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

New CD Player: Onkyo C-7030 vs Marantz CD6004

daniel thoma

Active Member
Hi, everyone. I'm planning to score a new CD player for the home stereo system, $500 or less. Two main contenders are the Onkyo C-7040 ($149-$200) and the Marantz C6400 ($329-$500). Which one would you recommend, and why?

I'm personally leaning towards the Marantz. The Electric Fetus in Minneapolis uses a Marantz CD player (either the same or similar model), and I really enjoyed the sound. This model also has a USB port for iPhone use, which is a big plus. I'm considering the Onkyo because of its very affordable price, and its stellar reputation. Everybody seems to love this model.

My stereo receiver is a Marantz 2235b, which has a warm, "two martini" sound. I'd like a CD player that is more neutral/warm than bright.

Much thanks for everyone's help.
 
Register to hide this ad
I can't comment on the Onkyo as I have not heard it. I bought the CD6004 early this year and it is far better than I had even hoped. It replaced a 20 year old Proceed PCD3 which sold for $3k new and more than holds its own.
 
Not sure about an Onkyo 7040 but the 7030 wasn't very good. The Marantz CD6004 is really quite good for the money. Quite a bit better than the Maranzt CD5004. I would go for the CD6004. I own the CD6004 for my living room system and like it alot.
 
Ah, very good. Thanks, all. I've heard great things about the Onkyo, but I'm really not interested in a bright-sounding CD player. I'm really enjoying spinning discs on the Panasonic LX-600 LaserDisc player. That has a very "analog" sound to it. If the Marantz was similar to that sound, but better on all fronts, that would be my pick.

The Panny LX-600, 900 and 1000 are the units to seek if you're curious.
 
From your description of what you like, I believe you'll be very happy with the CD6004.
 
I have an Onkyo SACD player (C-S5VL). Based on my experience with this unit and the generally rave reviews of the C-7030 (I think you mean C-7030; not sure there is a C-7040), I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Onkyo. Save yourself a couple hundred bucks, that's 15 - 20 new CDs.

Heck, if you don't like it, you can keep it as a back-up, or someone would probably take it off your hands for $100 - $125.
 
Back
Top Bottom