• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Cornwall III's (b-stock) vs. older Khorns

SBinLilRock

Active Member
I sold my 83 cornwalls over the weekend, and plan to also sell my 87 cornwalls. My plan is to find a set of nice khorns.

But, I had another thought. I saw some new b-stock cornwall III's that I could probably get for what I expect to pay for a nice set of used Khorns. The thought of new crisp clean cornwalls arriving in factory sealed boxes is appealing. Has anyone listened to new cw's. I wonder how they compare to older cw's and kh's.
 
Register to hide this ad
New Cornwalls does sound appealing....if you can find K-horns that have not been abused and cabinets are in great shape....I'd go with the K-horns.....
 
I sold my 83 cornwalls over the weekend, and plan to also sell my 87 cornwalls. My plan is to find a set of nice khorns.

But, I had another thought. I saw some new b-stock cornwall III's that I could probably get for what I expect to pay for a nice set of used Khorns. The thought of new crisp clean cornwalls arriving in factory sealed boxes is appealing. Has anyone listened to new cw's. I wonder how they compare to older cw's and kh's.

Before you sell your 87 Cornwall I would suggest that you compare them to a pair of H2 or better yet a pair of H3. The CW3 has a K701 mid horn which is the same horn as a Heresy. I would not buy any new loudspeaker with a K701 and I see it as a definite downgrade from a K600. PWK did too as he upgraded the Cornwall from a K700 to a K600. The CW3 is a post PWK attempt at an upgrade which is a bit of a homage and retro thing all at the same time and I think it slides a little sideways. Any time someone tries to sell you a smaller horn and is telling you that it is a better horn (than a larger one) your bullshit detectors should be ringing like a fire alarm. In my estimation you would be better off rebuilding a CW2 with all ti drivers and Al Klappenberger's networks brace work damping and what ever else that you want. Are you up to building a network from a schematic? Best regards Moray James.
 
I was able to audition a set of CWIIIs and they don't sound that much better then my CWIIs. They are pretty much identical. Of course my CWIIs have the Ti tweets so the only difference in them would be my larger horn verses a smaller horn with Ti mids, as MJ just said.

Klipschorns are another matter entirely. I'm blown away by them every time I hear a pair. The model year doesn't seem to matter either. Still kicking myself for not renting a truck and buying those Klipschorn cabinets without drivers for $600.
 
Last edited:
For what it would cost you I think that if you were to hear a set of K600 with ti diaphragms and some 10 gage inductors in the networks yo would be amazed. That is the tip of the iceberg as far as mods go and they all accumulate to provide exceptional sound. It might give you the need go bug to go ahead all the way with your Cornwall's before you chase after a set of much more expensive Khorns which need the same work anyhow. Chew on it. Best regards Moray James.
 
Last edited:
I've had three pairs of Cornwalls, 2 pair of lascalas and a bunch of heresies - Khorns are another level, with good corners they are as good as I've had in my house. Tubes are a must for the best sound - ymmv
 
Back
Top Bottom