• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Ebay scam.....Restored or not????

Status
Not open for further replies.
restorer-john said:
If QuadBob wants to be the only quad expert and ensure future customers for his rather expensive (I'm sure worth it) restorations, one way is to attack other people's listings and intimate that because the 'restoration' wasn't done by him, it can't be any good. We aren't talking rocket science here guys, there are plenty of repairers, restorers and builders of hifi and although we'd all like to be the ultimate expert and authority, it aint gonna happen. Replacing 242 caps isn't going to make a receiver necessarily last 20 years. I know that although I have never had a failure in any of my sales or any of my own repairs, that one day, something will blow up- due to age and there is nothing I can do about it. A transformer primary will internally corrode and short, a power transistor will simply fail, a tuning cap wheel will crack due to dial cord tension, an IF transformer will fracture, a pot will fall apart, etc etc.
To involve oneself in someone elses business by emailing a buyer is terrible, unless there was a misrepresentation which I cannot see. The only people involved in that sale are the buyer and the seller, not some self appointed ebay sansui monitor.

Well John, you're absolutely right about it "not being rocket science" I've never belittled anyone elses service work or restorations, except in the rare instances where it ended up on MY bench and I had to sort out the mess.

What I do in my restorations of the QRX-9001 is widely known and "I" published it on the 'net over 10 years ago. I freely published both the problems and the solutions.....so anyone with the technical capability COULD do it themselves or have someone do it. Do a google search and you'll find it. I've helped many, many guys over the years do their own and helped many here on AK as well. As it is strictly a sideline for me, I stay plenty swamped.....so I almost dread even the "real" auctions of my restorations simply because I have to deal with all the inquiries....much less an issue like this second auction. Luckily.....most equipment I restore never ends up on Ebay! Which is fine by me!:thmbsp:

And, as I said previously here.......the only reason I started this thread is because the BUYER contacted me. If it had been a unit that I restored I would have simply confirmed it and that would be that. HE felt deceived, and after reading the description.....I could easily see how he might have been.

There is nothing wrong in my book with Honesty.....either on Ebay or here!

QB
 
Just got this from the Buyer on that unit:

antigravitea said:
seller collapsed under mounting pressure and admitted that ...well...he is a jerkoff. i offered $300 for the machine - black spraypaint and all - no reply.

So, I'm sure the quaddies will be watching for it to reappear on Ebay.

ANYONE that restores a QRX-9001 to the level I do...deserves every penny that they can get for it. :thmbsp: Thus far to my knowledge, no one else has and I'll tip my hat to anyone that does it once.......much less over 50 times like I have.

I just hate seeing any of this great gear end up in landfill somewhere!:tears:

QB
 
Well, QuadBob, I suppose in the end you are right!!!, But I still think the seller was more of a fool rather than a crook (I don't think crooks crack under pressure easily), so the one thing to learn from this experience is for us e-buyers to be careful, and to put aside our emotions of REALLY wanting that piece of gear, lest we fall for fool's gold (or silver) and end up paying lots of hard earned money for overadvertised "junk".

I know this from personal experience haveing bought a TT from what appeard to be a reputable restorer of turntables (as he advertised himself to be). I paid a lot of money on the basis of a REALLY enthusiastic description of the unit, received it poorly packed with the plinth busted and the best advice I got from the seller was how to glue it back together (with an attitude of "sorry mate, I guess the shipping monkeys did a real job on this package"). I ended up selling the TT for a third of what I paid.

So well spotted on this Sansui unit. I guess we now have to watch out for ePay fools as well as crooks.
 
willyrover said:
Well, if it was indeed reconditioned, the seller should have the papers to prove it. $1300 in repairs/restoration is something I would probably NEVER toss out the receipt for.

No papers, well, then the buyer decides to take the chance.


And on an other note....what is with the sappy sob stories in eBay descriptions. Who cares. Sales people on comission should try this technique. "...you know...I'll take 20 bucks off the price for you today because...well...my brother passed away recently and with all the funeral expenses and such...well...I kinda need the money for my daughter's braces...and well...."

I have taken a couple of units to my Tech, Merrylander, and I don't have paper work. Don't know if Rob gives it out. If you take it to a shop, you should have a reciept, but people loose things, and just don't save them. If you want to be sure, don't buy it on Ebay.
 
thisOne said:
Well, QuadBob, I suppose in the end you are right!!!, But I still think the seller was more of a fool rather than a crook (I don't think crooks crack under pressure easily), so the one thing to learn from this experience is for us e-buyers to be careful, and to put aside our emotions of REALLY wanting that piece of gear, lest we fall for fool's gold (or silver) and end up paying lots of hard earned money for overadvertised "junk".

While you could be right about the seller thisOne.....a lot of "crooks" don't want the spotlight on them or try to fight with Ebay/Paypal. They'll simply "move on" to the next fool to fall for it and make the easy score.

Which is exactly what this seller did...............look here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sansui-QRX-9001-Quad-Receiver-Tuner-Stereo-Manual_W0QQitemZ250094217235QQcategoryZ50596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So, he simply relisted it with the same description and price........and SNAGGED another one!

And, guess what I have in my email this morning? Yep, an email from this Buyer asking the usual questions.........what did I do to it and when was it done!

Once could certainly be a fool........but doing it again after being caught?:sigh:

thisOne said:
I know this from personal experience haveing bought a TT from what appeard to be a reputable restorer of turntables (as he advertised himself to be). I paid a lot of money on the basis of a REALLY enthusiastic description of the unit, received it poorly packed with the plinth busted and the best advice I got from the seller was how to glue it back together (with an attitude of "sorry mate, I guess the shipping monkeys did a real job on this package"). I ended up selling the TT for a third of what I paid.

That is probably the worst thing that happens to any of us, and no doubt Turntables are one of the toughest items to ship safely. But, I would hope that your experience with that guy doesn't reflect on those of us who DO care enough to pack properly and fully insure units that we've serviced!

I just can't stand the thought of these great units OR my hard work being destroyed by the shipping Gorillas. It's also why I've insured the shipping on units I've restored for the full value of the unit AND the restoration cost. If FEDEX or UPS destroys it........THEY'RE going to eat it. Many years ago, I even built "custom" boxes combining heavy bubblewrap and solid styrofoam in an oversize box to protect them (and luckily we've never had any damage using them) which I provide to owners for shipping BOTH ways. While it costs a little more to ship the "empty" box and materials to owners.......we'd rather be safe than sorry!:thmbsp:


thisOne said:
So well spotted on this Sansui unit. I guess we now have to watch out for ePay fools as well as crooks.

No doubt............over and over again!

QB
 
arrow 68 said:
I have taken a couple of units to my Tech, Merrylander, and I don't have paper work. Don't know if Rob gives it out. If you take it to a shop, you should have a reciept, but people loose things, and just don't save them. If you want to be sure, don't buy it on Ebay.

True about Ebay, but I'm sure Rob (not trying to speak for him) like most of us around here would be happy to provide any documentation an owner wanted as well as verify to anyone what we did. There is a reason Merrylander has a great reputation........because he does exactly what he says he does and stands behind it, as do all of us that care!:thmbsp:

QB
 
It's Back.

Anyone up for round 3? Here is what he has added:

"REAGRDING THE RECONDITIONING OF THIS UNIT, I KNOW NOTHING AS TO WHAT WAS DONE TO IT. I REPRESENT NOTHING MORE THAN WHAT I LISTED ABOVE. I DID NOT HAVE IT REFURBISHED MYSELF AND I AM NOT THE ORIGINAL OWNER. NOTHING MORE I CAN TELL YOU OTHER THAN WHAT THE SERVICE STICKERS SAY. THE CABIBET IS BLACK, I DOONT KNOW OF IT'S ORIGINAL OR NOT. IT LOOKS NICE TO ME BUT I AM NO EXPERT. THE UNIT WAS FULLEY TESTED FOR POWERS AND FUNCTION ALL SEEMS FINE AND THE STEREO SOUNDS GREAT. PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH YOUR BEST BUY IT NOW OFFERS IF YOU WOULD LIKE. THE ITEM MAY BE LISTED LOCALLY IN THE NEWSPAPER. I have shown the internal components of this items in the photographs, I hope the pictures tell the story because I know nothing of this unit other than what I see I must rely on the pictures for the best descriptions. Item was relisted because a local byer wanted to make installment payments...no thanks"

Mmmm, wasn't it relisted for the first and second times because the buyers contacted Quadbob about the service?

The stereo sounds fine but what about quad functions?

Be very careful with this one.


- Pete
 
Well, maybe I'm the idiot, but I don't see the scam here. Just read the ad on ebay, and while I would never pay that kind of money for that unit, I see no foul in the guy asking it. :scratch2:
 
I don't know if this fits the description of a scam but at the very least he is being misleading about the reasons for relisting. It has been sold twice and both buyers backed out after confirming that Quad Bob did not do the restorations. Neither of these guys were local buyers. Why would he say he declined installment payments if he was not trying to cover the truth?

He also is claiming "I know nothing" but at the same time he has tested for "powers and function" what ever that means. He also seems to know what top dollar is. His feedback is also questionable. All of this adds up to good reasons to be very carefull with this guy.

- Pete
 
Enough of this. If no one wants to buy it then do not.

This site does not revolve around ebay so lets move on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom