• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New entry-level integrated: NAD vs. Cambridge vs. Marantz

Andy_H

Behind the Wall of Sleep
I'm considering buying new instead of vintage for my next purchase, mainly for reliability's sake (since I don't know how to fix things myself and I figure if I have to pay someone to fix the gear have as it gets shaky, I'd just as soon put that money toward something new.)

Anyway, the three integrated amps I've been looking at are the NAD C315BEE, the Cambridge Audio Azur 340A and the Marantz PM5003. The NAD and the Cambridge are the same price but lack a phono stage, which the Marantz (though more expensive) has. I figure that with the cost of an outboard phono preamp for the NAD or the Cambridge, they are all about the same price-wise. I've not heard any of these myself, and don't know how I'd get the opportunity to (I'd be ordering online; no stores near me carry these). I know each of these brands has its followers, but I don't have any personal experience with them. Thus, I'm curious to hear your suggestions / recommendations among the three.

Or, for that matter, if anybody has counsel about sticking to vintage or saving my money to go higher up the food chain, float those ideas too! :rockon:
 
Register to hide this ad
I do know the Cambridge Audio outboard phono stage has been well-received by many- if you can swing it, go for the MM/MC for flexibility.

NAD offers incredible bang for buck- top notch sound at very affordable pricing. However, NAD has opted to keep costs down by using cheaper components- and in my experience, this has an effect on reliability. Even modern products- from experience I've had or have been told by a friend who runs an established HiFi shop.

I still wouldn't rule it out- but keep this in mind. My personal bad experience was with CD players with laser issues- not reading burned CDs although supposed to, and other times not reading CDs at all.

I don't know too much about the Marantz stuff besides I do own one of their modern receivers. Decent stuff, with 3 year warranty. The modern Denon and Onkyo as well as Pioneer Elite could be lumped into the same category.
 
By the way, the same amount of money could buy you a used integrated and have it refurbished, or if costs permit, re-capped, and this may actually prove to be a better solution.

The build quality of the older gear, if serviced, is going to beat out build quality of the units you mention- and perhaps look cooler to boot.

A reputable tech will be more than fair on pricing and affordable within your budget.
 
I own an Integrated Marantz PM7001 (which was discontinued last year to a newer model) and it is a nice amp. It has a good phone stage and the power is good 70WPC. I did like the sound, it was fairly transparent but I ended up wanting to have a McIntosh amp and later preamp. Until I got the my current pre, I actually used the Marantz as a pre and it worked flawlessly.

The only complaint I have is the volume control was not stepped and when using the remote, you had to be careful or the volume will go up pretty fast. When I bought the Marantz, I also looked at the NAD Integrated(don't remember the exact model), but for the money the Marantz had more power.

I plan on using it as a second system down the line.
 
I purchased a new Cambridge Audio Azur 340A this summer, $219 "open box" at Audio Advisor.
It's rated at 40wpc@8 ohms and 50wpc@4 ohms.
I've used it with a number of vintage speakers (University UCX-12 triaxials, KLH 17, Dynaco A-10, and ROR studio monitors), and has sounded fairly impressive with each.
On the down side, it does NOT use standard 5-way binding plugs.
I'm using 12 gauge Belden, with bare wire attached to the Cambridge.

Steve
 
I can't imagine that you'd be dissatisfied with any one of them sound wise. If you are going to be listening to a lot of records, I'd recommend the Marantz for the convenience of the inboard phono stage. That's one less component that you'd have to plug in and run cables to.

As to NAD reliability (and sound), I've enjoyed my C-350 integrated for about 8 or 9 trouble-free years now(My NAD cd player...a little different story). At the time I bought the NAD amp, I did an A/B comparison between it and an LFD Mistral integrated that cost about 3 times what the NAD cost. I got to hear them on my speakers and the very helpful salesman would quickly exchange one unit out for the other at my request. The only difference I could hear between the two was what I perceived to be a greater sense of soundstage from the NAD. It was subtle and I could only hear it in one short part of the song I was auditioning with, but it was there. The NAD certainly impressed me and is still doing so.

Good luck with your choice. I don't think there's a bad one to be made here.
 
I would like to second thedelihaus' suggestion about getting high quality used and having it serviced by someone familiar with older gear and reasonably priced.

I'm amazed at the build quality of many brands of late 1970 -- mid 80's (and earlier) gear. If you are more concerned with performance and quality and not tied to getting a 'certain, must have' piece, then you can find amps, receivers, pre-amps and more for very close to $100--250; additionally, some of this equipment sold new at prices approaching $1000 (but for sure a lot of great vintage equipment sold new for a LOT less than that).

Depending on the condition of what you buy, you may spend another $100 or less on parts, and $200 or less for the tech, and now you've got a piece of gear for $300-600 total that will run circles around much of what you can get these days that's around $1000.

If you're into vinyl, I think there's another factor too: during it's heyday, awesome sounding phono sections were not too rare.
 
Oh, and regarding NAD gear. I only own two pieces of NAD gear so my experience is very limited.

I have a 3020 int. amp that works great and runs our 'HT' left and right channels. I also have a 512 (?514?) single CD player that has worked great for probably close to 10 years and, interestingly, replaced a Nakamichi Music Bank 4 (? the one that did 7 CDs) that had ongoing repair issues. It did sound wonderful, but after 2 or 3 trips to the factory authorized shop, my local dealer simply told me he didn't like the fact that the player kept going back to the service center. So, he offered to swap it and I ended up picking that NAD.
 
Depending on what you need to connect (component wise)....a NAD 2200 power amp + NAD 1155 preamp could be had for right around $300 used and if they need servicing (or not), could very well come in lower than the price of a newer NAD integrated + outboard phono stage. With these older Japanese made NAD gear pieces, you'd have brute force + finesse + phono all in two nicely wrapped packages.
 
Last edited:
If you decide to go used, there are some serious bargains to be had on integrated amps, as a lot of the collectors seem to want recievers. Two of my favorite pieces are a Yamaha A-1 and a Luxman 5L-15. Either will stand up to almost anything new, but only if in top running condition. If you want total reliability right off the bat, I agree that new might be the way to go. But gear like the A-1 will sound great if in good condition..it won't sound 'vintage' or 'warm'...it will just sound good, period.

There is nothing wrong with new gear, and the choices you've narrowed down to are pretty good. I've heard recent NAD and Cambridge, and it's very good gear. And to have a remote....
 
I'll assume you like to spin vinyl. It happens to be my favorite source. The phono stage is a deal-breaker. For the money, I have not heard a better stage than the 640P for the $. Inboards @ lower price points tend to focus on the power. Check Audiogon for used, many audiophiles buy the components you mentioned and immediately upgrade. There are a few on-line dealers who sell @ discounts/free ship on that site as well.
New or gently used gear that you listed are solid choices. I got into the vintage gear after I had good foundation (newer/reliable) first.
 
Back
Top Bottom