• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New from Dayton, Ohio

Matt,

You should get a hold of me as I'm dumping several speaker cabinets that you could use to build you a speaker system. I've already committed many pairs to firewood!!!

Regards, Ron
 
Thanks everyone!

winters680, thanks for the advice. I've needed straightening out for some time....:D I hadn't thought about the DVD player (I really am a newbie...) I'll get that done post haste. The place I have now is on the smaller side, and so it's possible that the speakers that I need now may change in the future. At some point I will stop in to Hanson AV on Far Hills in Oakwood.

Dave Hale, Thanks! I googled those speakers and saw that someone in Middletown has a pair of these for sale on ebay. I can only assume it's the same guy. He left his phone number in the listing and I left him a voice mail. I don't know if these speakers are the last speakers I'll ever buy, but if they're in good shape I'll buy them now. Thanks for the heads up. And....if you supply the house, I'll supply the beer. If Ohio members want to get together, count me in.

I bookmarked The Audio Critic; I'll look it over tonight if time permits..Thanks.

Ron, PM me about the speaker cabinets. I am very handy with other stuff---HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing---as I'm a contractor. I've never done Hi-Fi DIY, and I can't say I have experience with wood working, but I'm a quick study.Might be a fun project.

Must run. Thanks again all!
 
Welcome! Now you're on the right track. A lot of us drool for a SX-1250, so you have a fine core to build a system around. Grab those speakers! The rest will fall into place.
 
Run, don't walk, to buy those speakers from Ken in Middletown. Then stop my house on the way back to hook them up to my SX-980 like I first heard them and we'll drink some brewskis while we discuss you next steps. And don't drop any money just now at high value stores like Carlin just yet - we'll get you set up just fine.

Dave
 
Welcome Matt,

It looks like you are in good hands in Ohio! You are in a great position to audition alot of other AKer's equipment before shelling out the greenbacks. That will help you make some basic decisions regarding speaker designs that appeal to you, both sonically and esthetically. Good luck and post lots of pictures!
 
Welcome Matt!

Seems Ak'ers are coming out of the woodwork up there in Dayton. :D

And yes you are in good hands...we have tons of knowledgeable folk here in the forums. Search and read up on on old threads and ask questions and you will have a killer system running. I'm not going to say in no time, because this is a hobby of patience. :yes: Well that is what my wallet wants to tell me. :tears:

Enjoy.:thmbsp:
 
It looks like I can get it done cheaper. My current front runner for CD player (after a month or so of reading reviews etc..) is the Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD Player.(which people of all stripes seem to rave about...)
Very , very good choice. It will be a long time and many dollars before you outrun that CD player with the rest of your rig. I heard that player with $20,000 speakers (Revel Salon) and a Levinson preamp , powered by a Bryston 14BSST. Could have used better speakers. Honestly-that CD player far exceeds it's cost in performance. Now I prepare for the flames-40 year old speakers with a refoam will make that Cambridge a waste of money. My $.02
 
Update.......
I Got to thinking about winters860's advice, and it does seem silly not to have a stereo for lack of $5000 worth of gear. Dave Hale mentioned a guy not too far away who was selling a pair of Epicure speakers. I agreed to buy them sight unseen and when I got there a guy had beat me to the punch and bought them. He had a pair of JBL CF120's and so I bought them.

Alacric's comments confirmed what may people on the net are saying about the Cambridge Audio Azur 840C , and so I'm pretty sure that this will be my CD player at some point in the near future. (I'll use the DVD player in the interim)

So the set up for my living room will be:

Pioneer SX-1250
Cambridge Audio Azur 840C
JBL CF120 for now, and homework still needs to be done on the final choice.

(The JBLs were in near mint condition and $125, so it's a very good start I hope)

Now that I've been straightened out on my budget, I'll visit some shops in the coming months to figure out what speakers I'd like. (and the fact is, I haven't heard the JBLs in my home yet)

Thanks for the help!
 
Back
Top Bottom